Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

orange screen

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Jul-2012, 10:51 PM #1
orange screen
Hello,

Yesterday I installed a new GeForce GTX 680 video card on my PC. The motherboard is a Asus P5G41T-M LX3. The video card was detected and the drivers installed. However, after system restart and after several seconds on the desktop the screen turned orange and there is nothing I could do but restart the computer. The same thing happened until I was forced to install back to old video card. Is this a driver issue or hardware issue?

Thanks
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

21-Jul-2012, 11:30 PM #2
Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system. Also include the name and wattage of your power supply.

Last edited by captainron276; 21-Jul-2012 at 11:38 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 05:12 AM #3
Thanks sir for the reply...I have downloaded the file and will be going back to the unit tonight.. I will upload the info as soon as I got it.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 10:38 AM #4
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 2047 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 20002 MB, Free - 13871 MB; D: Total - 199996 MB, Free - 149873 MB; E: Total - 18456 MB, Free - 18456 MB; H: Total - 3812 MB, Free - 3485 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5G41T-M LX3
Antivirus: None

Power Supply: Cougar RS 550 550watts

Please note that I used the older video card because with the GTX 680 I got only the orange screen after the desktop appears. Yesterday the GTX 680 worked when I deleted the older drivers but the orange screen came back after several hours. I tried to remove again the drivers but nothing happened. The same orange screen over and over again.

Thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Jul-2012, 10:42 AM #5
Quote:
Yesterday I installed a new GeForce GTX 680 video card on my PC. The motherboard is a Asus P5G41T-M LX3. The video card was detected and the drivers installed.
Did you install the drivers from the disk that came with the video card?
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 12:48 PM #6
Thanks for posting black wolf. Yesterday when I installed the video card it was detected and I installed the drivers that came with the GTX 680. However, I re-installed the old video card and deleted the installed Nvidia programs/drivers on the control panel and shut down the PC. I re-installed the GTX 680 and this time during boot up check disk came on and repaired some Nvidia files. After this the PC display was okay. As I was supposed to pack up the orange screen appeared again.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:00 PM #7
How old is your power supply? Do you have a link to your GTX 680? The ones I have looked at state a minimum of 550W. Also, is there a reason you are not using an Anti-Virus program?

A good Anti-Virus program that is Free to use and is highly recommended here is: Microsoft Security Essentials and or Avast. http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx
http://www.avast.com/en-us/free-antivirus-download

Only have one Anti-Virus program installed at a time, otherwise the computer will not be a happy camper...

Also recommended: These programs get along fine with your Anti-Virus program.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE (Free edition)

Be sure to Update each before running your scans.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:05 PM #8
Captain, the PC is not connected to a network or internet. The software is an OEM for Mindray. The PC is used as a Central Monitoring Station for Mindray Patient Bedside Monitors. This is installed in an Intensive care unit in a hospital. There are 25 beds being monitored by the single PC. The reason this video card was suggested because it could support 4 monitors which display different images on each. The power supply is new. I just replaced it last June 2012. The system was purchased last year December 2011.

How to link to the GTX 680?

Thanks for replying
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:05 PM #9
Check out your power supply requirements with this site.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:07 PM #10
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:19 PM #11
Yes the display ports are the same as well as the PCI connector but my card has three (3) built in fans.
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:24 PM #12
I have to check again my hardware for the calculation of the power supply requirements
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:32 PM #13
OK, I looked that one up also and it requires a minimum of 550W. Personally if I were putting in a card of that quality I would have put in a 650W to 750W power supply. Something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139035
Computer Specs
Member with 3,654 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 01:37 PM #14
See if you can download this to install on the work PC and monitor your Temps and Voltages.

You want the Free version which is on the right side of page: 1.19 English setup

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 07:15 PM #15
Thanks captainron. Sorry I fell asleep. It was getting late. So it could be a power problem? I have emailed our supplier and see what they think also but I agree with you. I would advice to replace the power supply. I will keep in touch regarding the developments and thanks also for the HW monitor software reference.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!