Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Reference to thread techguy.org/955735

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 09:08 AM #1
Reference to thread techguy.org/955735
I have similar problem mentioned in thread techguy.org/955735

My external hard disk (WD: my passport usb 3.0) is not detectable.
In disk management it's showing showing as an unknown, unreadable drive.
I've tried running chkdsk in CMD but the message "Cannot open volume for direct access"
I tried various data recovery software but as it is showing unknown drive in selection, software is not able to read data.
Please please help!
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 09:42 AM #2
I've had a couple of both Seagate and WD external drives fail on me in the recent past, confirmed by testing with the manufacturer's own diagnostic software. For a WD external drive you need to test it with WD Data LifeGuard Diagnostic for Windows. Go here and download it: http://support.wdc.com/product/downl...&sid=3&lang=en

Ignore the drive model pictured on the page, the software will test all WD internal & external drives. It's just the strange way that WD have built their website. The diagnostic software isn't offered on the pages featuring the "My Passport" models, but I can assure you it's the correct testing software for your drive.

Update: very often with external hard drives it's not the actual drive that has failed, it's the converter board inside the enclosure (converts SATA to USB).
When that happens, you have to resort to carefully extracting the drive (not an easy task since there are no screws on the enclosure) and either connecting it up to a PC internally, or buying a third-party enclosure for it. It's not something I've ever needed to do myself as I keep all my data on four drives as backup, so when one drive fails I just throw it away & replace it.

Last edited by pip22; 22-Jul-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Member with 3 posts.

22-Jul-2012, 12:15 PM #3
WD hard disk nonreadable issue
I tried Lifeguard. It's not working as drive is not readable.
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jul-2012, 01:56 PM #4
Then it looks like the converter board may have "blown" in the enclosure, preventing any software access to the drive.
In a way, that's good news since the drive itself may be okay. If you can extract it and connect it up some other way (a third-party enclosure or fit it inside a PC, you might be able to get the data off it and (optionally) test it with Lifeguard to see how healthy it is.

If it passes diagnostics, and you've put it inside a third-party enclosure, you can continue to use it like that if you want to.
Member with 3 posts.

23-Jul-2012, 12:18 AM #5
I could get data back using diskgetor data recovery s/w.. hurraayyyy..

Thanks for replying..
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!