Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Built a new machine

(!)

Member with 57 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 09:14 PM #1
Built a new machine
I just built a new machine. I can honestly say that I'm not sure if this should be in hardware or software, but I've started here.
Here's what it's running:

Cooler Blaster Silent ProM 600w
Asus Sabertooth 990fx mobo
AMD FX 8-core processor black edition
Crucial m4 256gb ssd
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Geforce 520 2GB GPU
Samsung 22x DVD burner
Windows 7 Home Premium

I've also got an old Hitachi HD in there from my old comp until I can get all the files I want off.

The problem is that just about everything I run freezes constantly. Firefox will stop responding for about 30 seconds every couple minutes. Games will freeze for a lot longer period of time (with shorter times of running between). The OS seems to work alright. It's slower than I would think it should be, though, considering the specs.

I'm not even sure where to start looking for the problem. I've got the newest drivers for my GPU. I've flashed the BIOS with the latest version (the problem existed before I did that). I've run memtest on the RAM.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Or any tools available that would help me pinpoint? It's got to either be OS, hardware, or driver issues, since everything seems to have the same (or very similar problems). Any advice?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 10:09 PM #2
Since the system doesn't seem to be detecting the memory properly, and you're having major stability problems, I suspect a RAM issue or an illegal OS issue. Your sarcasm makes me further suspicious of the latter.

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/...ws-7-home.html
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,159 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM #3
First post your temps and voltages; ie cpu temp, system or mb temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Since your board does not support asus probe, you will probably need to get this info from the bios. You can try something like hwmonitor however with that new of a chipset, hwmonitor often returns flaky data.

Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware for your ssd?

You do have the ssd plugged into the amd sata ports and not the jmicron ones correct?

One quick way of telling if you have a hardware or software issue, is to boot the system from a linux live disk/flash drive. If you still have the same problem with linux, you have a hardware problem. If it runs fine under linux, then it is probably a windows and or driver issue. Do make sure you access your drives from linux ie play a video, music, etc.
Member with 57 posts.

26-Jul-2012, 10:57 PM #4
I'm not sure how what I posted could have been taken as sarcasm. But I bought a new copy of 7. Why would I spend $800 on the PC and then skip spending and extra $100 to get a clean OS? I'm not going to spend a lot of time trying to convince anyone of that though. If there's not some level of trust that I'm telling the truth, then there's really not much I can do. I'd really just be hurting my chances at solving my problem by lying about stuff.

Well, I went ahead and got the RAM RMA-ed.

I should be able to get the temps and stuff from my BIOS interface. I will get on that.

The Crucial firmware updater utility told me that there was no device that needed to be updated, so I didn't update anything. I could run it anyway though, if that could possibly help.

There are only 2 jmicron ports, and I made sure not to plug any of my stuff (either HD or the DVD) into either of them.

I will try the Linux boot disk idea. The only one I have on hand is an old Kubuntu 7.x one from way back. And I'd be skeptical that it would have the right drivers ready. I'll have to make a new one. But since I don't trust my computer to do so, I'll have to get a friend to make me one. So that step will take a little time.

EDIT:

I should have also mentioned this. I did, in fact, get the RAM replaced (in process now). But I borrowed a friend's chip for the interim. I know his works fine, and I still have the same problem. So I don't think it's a RAM issue.

Here are the temps and voltages.
CPU: 109.4F
MB: 95F

CPU: 1.356V
3.3V: 3.264V
5V: 4.907V
12V: 11.943V

2nd EDIT:

I got 1 BSOD at one point. At the time I thought it was just a fluke, with the machine settling into all the new stuff. But I could post the .dmp if anyone wants to see it. It went away before I had a chance to read anything (much less write it).

Last edited by Stonkey; 26-Jul-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 03:54 AM #5
Get someone to make you a linux live CD. I use parted magic for all kinds of tasks. It is very useful when you have a ssd type drive since you can secure erase the ssd from the linux disk.

Your temps and voltages look ok.
Member with 57 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 07:43 AM #6
Is Parted Magic enough of a live disk to test my system? Or should I just use it to clear everything after I run whatever other live disk I choose?
Computer Specs

27-Jul-2012, 08:49 AM #7
Parted magic is fine. Just have it access your drives ie play a video or whatever and see if you have problems. PM is a very useful tool for all kinds of tasks; secure erase of drives, rescue files from failed os, hard drive tests, system benchmark, etc, etc.

One last item I should have mentioned. You do have the intel sata controller set to either ahci or raid mode and not native ide, correct?
Member with 57 posts.

27-Jul-2012, 05:31 PM #8
Sounds like a live disk that would be handy to have around.

SATA controller is set to AHCI. I didn't mess with it at all though, that's how it came out of the box.

In the in meantime (while I wait for a friend to help me with the live CD [should be tomorrow]) perhaps someone can tell me if it's a problem that I have G.Skill F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL, and the closest thing I can find to that in the list of supported memory types for my mobo is F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL(XMP).

Last edited by Stonkey; 27-Jul-2012 at 10:12 PM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
28-Jul-2012, 06:14 AM #9

Parted Magic disk partitioning, PC repair, and file recovery tool (Bootable CD or USB image)
If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.
Computer Specs

28-Jul-2012, 07:20 AM #10
While it is always a good idea to use memory on the qvl list, memory not specifically listed does not mean it will not work. The qvl list is of memory that has been tested and found to work. Since it is not possible to test ALL memory on all of their boards, asus just lists what it has tested.

In most cases, as long as you stick to name brand memory you should be ok. I would tend to think your memory is fine.
Member with 57 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 11:14 AM #11
Because I wanted to go ahead and test a whole bunch of stuff, I went ahead and just installed Ubuntu 12.04.

So far I have had none of the same issues. I'm in the process of downloading some games though. We'll see. I'm gonna try Amnesia: The Dark Descent since that has a version made for linux. After that I'll try some stuff with winetricks.

Additionally, before I switched over to Linux, I installed the AMD chipset drivers from the page for my motherboard (I hadn't before because when the install started, it said something about "graphics product"). After that install I had the exact same problem, except that it seemed even worse. Does that help pinpoint it at all?
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2012, 07:21 AM #12
That certainly points at a windows problem. For amd systems, I usually go to the amd site and get the latest chipset drivers.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...downloads.aspx

When you do a windows install, do it in the following order;
1 Install os
2 Update to latest service pack
3 Install chipset drivers
4 Install sound, nic etc drivers
5 Install video driver
6 If all is well, activate windows and make a backup image of the system drive. Store this on a second hd, external, network share, etc.
7 Now do windows update and install all critical updates. Repeat until there are no more to install.
Member with 57 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 03:16 PM #13
Well, I did do a reinstall with my friend's RAM in there in an order pretty similar to the one you posted there. So far everything seems ok now. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it stays that way all through the Windows updates.
Member with 57 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 03:31 PM #14
Well, so much for that. I shutdown the computer and it installed an automatic update. I started it back up and without testing anything else first, loaded up the game Transformers: War for Cybertron. It froze and I got a BSOD (KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR). Now the problem is back.

Should I just keep letting updates install and hope the the issue goes away again? I'm not sure which update was the one most recently installed, but should I go and delete updates and see if I can get system stability back?
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2012, 04:49 PM #15
This is why you make the backup image. You can restore in a few min and be right back to where you were before updating.

I would go ahead and remove whatever updates were just installed. Set automatic updates to not check for updates; now you can do it manually and carefully watch what it is installing.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!