Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard drive upgrade

(!)

Member with 24 posts.

28-Jul-2012, 09:40 PM #1
Hard drive upgrade
Hi guys. Got a hard drive question:

I was given a AMD SEMPRON 2400+ 1.67 GHZ, with 224 mb of ram. I would like to upgrade my hard drive, which is a MAXTOR_2F040L0 ( 40 gb's ). The problem is, when i search for an upgrade for my hard drive, all i get is sales for same thing. Anyone know how i can get a compatibility chart, to see what i can buy, to upgrade?
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,686 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jul-2012, 01:54 AM #2
What model of computer is it? Is it a laptop or desktop?Does it take an IDE or SATA drive? if it came with a 40 gb harddrive the computer must be really old as you cant even buy that size anymore.Most harddrives now are 250gbs and up.You might want to type in the model of your computer such as for example a dell inspiron 1420 and you will see what kind of drive it needs and where to buy them so you get the correct kind.And also to run windows xp at the minumum properly you should check to see if you can go with more ram which is 512mbs.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,914 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 07:22 AM #3
A 40 GB hard drive has more than enough capacity to run Windows XP and your programs and extras, as long as you don't try to store a bunch of photos and videos and music in it.

The BIOS in that old computer is probably too old anyway to support a large capacity hard drive.

What you really need to do is to add at least another 256 MB of RAM if you don't want that old computer to run like a snail.

What brand name and model name and model number is it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 10:21 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEOHIO View Post
What model of computer is it? Is it a laptop or desktop?Does it take an IDE or SATA drive? if it came with a 40 gb harddrive the computer must be really old as you cant even buy that size anymore.Most harddrives now are 250gbs and up.You might want to type in the model of your computer such as for example a dell inspiron 1420 and you will see what kind of drive it needs and where to buy them so you get the correct kind.And also to run windows xp at the minumum properly you should check to see if you can go with more ram which is 512mbs.

Isn't this the make/model/etc Sueohio? It's the info in "system info": AMD SEMPRON 2400+ 1.67 GHZ, with 224 mb of ram? It's a desk top also.
The first 3 letters in disk info are IDE, and i can buy same size hd. Found a ton of them, while trying to find an upgrade It is running Win xp home now, and i would also upgrade to bigger ram, if i can find a larger hd
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 10:33 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
A 40 GB hard drive has more than enough capacity to run Windows XP and your programs and extras, as long as you don't try to store a bunch of photos and videos and music in it.

The BIOS in that old computer is probably too old anyway to support a large capacity hard drive.

What you really need to do is to add at least another 256 MB of RAM if you don't want that old computer to run like a snail.

What brand name and model name and model number is it?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Well, if it can't support a larger hd Flav, i guess i can't do it anyway, but i don't intend to store a lot of pics/vids/music. Just wanted to upgrade it a little, so i'm ok down the road. Was intending to upgrade ram also, but after i upgraded hd. Again, as i as i asked Sueohio above, isn't this the make/model/etc of this desk top: AMD SEMPRON 2400+ 1.67 GHZ, with 224 mb of ram?
Computer Specs
Member with 11,459 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jul-2012, 11:12 AM #6
The link that opens when clicking on your model number shows a WYSE Slim Client. Is that what you have?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,914 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 04:49 PM #7
Go here and allow the Crucial System Scanner to load and run.

After it's finished and it displays a report, copy-and-paste the link to that report here so we can go there and view it.

--------------------------------------------------------
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 06:07 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyjay View Post
The link that opens when clicking on your model number shows a WYSE Slim Client. Is that what you have?
Lmao......beats the H outta' me Dusty. I'm going to try Flavs link, and another link that i found, and hopefully they will give me/you guys more info to work with. Right now i'm stumped, if AMD SEMPRON 2400+ isn't the make model?
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 06:08 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
Go here and allow the Crucial System Scanner to load and run.

After it's finished and it displays a report, copy-and-paste the link to that report here so we can go there and view it.

--------------------------------------------------------
Ok Flav, will do
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 08:37 PM #10
For some reason or other Flav, Crucial kept freezing up on me.......dial up????
Anyway, i got info using another program, and here it is

OS-MS WIN XP HOME-32 BIT-SP2
CPU-AMD SEMPRON THOROUGHBRED 0.13UM TECH.
RAM-256 DDR@166 MHZ 2.5-3-2-7
MOTHERBOARD-GIGABYTE TECH. CO, LTD 7VM400M-RZ (SOCKET A )
GRAPHICS-IBM G96 ( 1024 X 768@60 HZ )VIA/S3G UNICHROME IGP
HARD DRIVE-31.8 GB MAXTOR 2F040L0 ( PATA )
OPTICAL DRIVE-HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC 4521B
AUDIO-VINYL AC '97 CODEC COMBO DRIVER ( WDM )
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2012, 11:46 PM #11
Ok that makes a big difference. The Sempron referred to is the processor. With a motherboard that age, you may end up with a drive size limitation. Though if you can get a 120Gb IDE drive you should be fine there. I tried looking on the Gigabyte Website and couldn't get any information about the motherboard at all, I was looking for Ram Limits for you.
Computer Specs

29-Jul-2012, 11:51 PM #12
I did find this for the ram at the Crucial website http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...00M-RZ&Cat=RAM
Member with 24 posts.

29-Jul-2012, 11:58 PM #13
Quote:
Ok that makes a big difference. The Sempron referred to is the processor. With a motherboard that age, you may end up with a drive size limitation. Though if you can get a 120Gb IDE drive you should be fine there. I tried looking on the Gigabyte Website and couldn't get any information about the motherboard at all, I was looking for Ram Limits for you.
Hey, sounds good to me Dusty, as does the 1 gb ram upgrade. So, to make sure i got it right, i can find any brand 120gb hard drive, as long as it's IDE? As for the 1 gb ram, is that by itself? or can i add that in, along with the 256?
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 12:09 AM #14
If yoiu follow the link I posted it says you can go up to 2Gb Ram on your motherboard. 1Gb in each slot would be better than 1Gb in one slot and 256Mb in the other. And from the prices I have seen locally for DDR1 Ram 29.99 each is not too bad a price. Even at Newegg Crucial or Corsair PC2700 ram is going for about that price per stick,
Member with 24 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 12:20 AM #15
Quote:
If yoiu follow the link I posted it says you can go up to 2Gb Ram on your motherboard. 1Gb in each slot would be better than 1Gb in one slot and 256Mb in the other. And from the prices I have seen locally for DDR1 Ram 29.99 each is not too bad a price. Even at Newegg Crucial or Corsair PC2700 ram is going for about that price per stick,
Ok, great, that's even better. Will start looking around for 120 gb IDE drives, and ram cards tomorrow. Thanks Dusty, and to the others who have helped. You guys ROCK
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!