Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Installed 3GB physical memory yet laptop is still slow

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Computer Illiterate
28-Jul-2012, 10:37 PM #1
Installed 3GB physical memory yet laptop is still slow
Hi,

I'd like to ask help why my laptop is still slow?

Initially I had only 1 gb ram. I added 2 gb so now I have a total of 3gb physical ram

My laptop is a c793tu HP Compaq presario

The original OS is supposedly windows vista but I upgraded to 7 ultimate. Aside from the card reader not working, everything is okay.

In order to handle the new OS, I installed 2 gb ram.

I thought that it would be faster but sometimes my laptop is slow. Especially when opening flash or using chrome and firefox together.
Member with 63 posts.

Experience: Beginner
29-Jul-2012, 04:39 AM #2
Looking at that, you have 3gb of ram installed but your comp is only using 1.5 so if you have now got 7 ultimate.. Your comp is struggling with your new OS
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,933 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jul-2012, 07:14 AM #3
Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario C793TU laptop.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can readily refer to it when needed.

I'm surprised that you were able to install 3 GB of RAM in it because everything that I've read says it supports only 2 GB of RAM.

------------------------------------------------------------

There can be a number of reasons why it's running slow.

One of the more common reasons is having too many programs and services auto-loading and running in the background.

Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 05:44 AM #4
I guess the best option for me is to return to Vista.... but it's such a pain in the arse OS. I'm loving windows 7 right now even if it's a bit slow.

Are there any suggestions on what should I do other than returning to vista?
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 08:41 AM #5
Stick with Windows 7. It's a better operating system than Windows Vista and is less system-hungry.

Did you do an upgrade from Windows Vista to Windows 7 or did you do a "clean" install of Windows 7?

How did you obtain Windows 7 Ultimate?

----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 24 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 07:21 PM #6
Try running CCleaner. (Google it.)
Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
30-Jul-2012, 07:26 PM #7
Try avoiding CCleaner. Use the search tool on the forum for opinions about Registry Optimizers and Cleaners. Just say NO.
Member with 24 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 07:34 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagglegaster View Post
Try avoiding CCleaner. Use the search tool on the forum for opinions about Registry Optimizers and Cleaners. Just say NO.
Um, I'm pretty picky about registry optimizers and cleaners but have yet to be burned even once by CCleaner after years of use. I consistently get significant improvement in speed with very few exceptions. It's the only one I recommend. Seen too many people burned by cheesy reg cleaners that bluescreen their box. Why are you against CCleaner, out of curiosity?
Computer Specs

30-Jul-2012, 07:40 PM #9
james1052:

Recommending CCleaner or any other registry "cleaner/fixer" type utility is BAD advice.

If you choose to use them, that's your choice.

Account Disabled with 1,906 posts.

Experience: Between Vast & Half-Vast
30-Jul-2012, 08:59 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by james1052 View Post
Um, I'm pretty picky about registry optimizers and cleaners but have yet to be burned even once by CCleaner after years of use. I consistently get significant improvement in speed with very few exceptions. It's the only one I recommend. Seen too many people burned by cheesy reg cleaners that bluescreen their box. Why are you against CCleaner, out of curiosity?
Easy answer: CCleaner doesn't attempt to do the big "improvements" and "optimizations" that some of the worst products do, but whenever you run it it still makes some guesses about what constitutes a valid registry entry, and what can be removed. So, even if it isn't very aggressive, there's still a fairly high chance that on any given run it may cause more problems than it fixes.

There's a whole class of PC products that make unsupported claims for the improvements in performance they deliver, and Registry Optimizers and Disc Defragmenters are right at the top of the list. Any improvements in performance you see are nothing more than wishful thinking.
Computer Specs
Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jul-2012, 09:54 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by megalomax View Post
I guess the best option for me is to return to Vista.... but it's such a pain in the arse OS. I'm loving windows 7 right now even if it's a bit slow.

Are there any suggestions on what should I do other than returning to vista?
ubuntu or mint.
Computer Specs
Member with 210 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2012, 12:59 AM #12
I would recommend staying with Windows 7, But try installing two 1gb sticks and see what is registered, if 2gb is usable then that would just mean 2gb is the max of the computer, as stated by flavalee. He also asked where you got the windows installation from, is it a licensed copy or one that was illegally obtained?
Computer Specs
Member with 11 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 07:15 PM #13
hi am back

It's a digital download from microsoft with a one time license key for 1 user. I still have my vista cd though so if I change back, I might not be able to return to windows 7

My laptop crashed and got formatted so basically I had win 7 installed by the technician after the formatting

i tried searching if the max GB for RAM for my laptop so far I haven't seen one yet. if that's so then it sucks, it was my technician who suggested I had 2 gb more ram.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 51,993 posts.

Experience: "Been through the mill."
02-Aug-2012, 07:22 PM #14
As far as "cleaners" go, even if you want to risk using them, using them when the machine is having problems is the worst time to use them. If the problem was due to a missing file, for example, the cleaners would then also remove all the references to that file in the registry, making a small problem a lot bigger. If you insist on using cleaners because your drive is too small, at least wait until the machine is running right so you will be able to figure out what caused what.
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2012, 07:23 PM #15
Go here and allow the Crucial System Scanner to load and run.

After it's finished and it displays a report, copy-and-paste the link to that report here so we can go there and view it.

--------------------------------------------------------
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!