Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

netbook power trouble

(!)

Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Beginner
30-Jul-2012, 10:08 AM #1
netbook power trouble
Just got a 7 inch netbook as a freebie with something else from ebay. I think the battery is dead. It won't turn on at all when its on battery and it doesn't charge. Whenever I try turning it on when its plugged in it powers up and tells me "Your main batteries are running very low on power. Please change the batteries at your next opportunity" and then turns off after 60 seconds. As far as I can tell these netbooks are pretty generic, there's no indication of make or model etc. It runs on Windows CE 6.00. Is there any way of getting it to run just on ac power?
P.S. I've tried removing the battery to no avail.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,955 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jul-2012, 10:17 AM #2
Now you know why you got it as an eBay "freebie".

It might make a good doorstop.

----------------------------------------------------------
Member with 36 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 10:22 AM #3
lol fair enough. Oh well, thought it might be worth a punt trying to revive it.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,396 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 11:35 AM #4
Sounds more like its not getting AC power to recharge the battery. You should be able to run a netbook without a battery in most cases so maybe the power adapter isn't putting out enough power(ie. faulty). However if its running Windows CE its gonna be more useless than a normal network, those models usually have ridiculously horrible specs and not really useful for anything when they do work, which in most cases isn't very often. Don't spend any money on it, if you can try another power adapter that has the correct voltage, plug polarity, and an amperage thats equal or greater then what is required then go for it. Also check and compare the voltage of the power adapter to the bottom of the unit to see if it even matches, the included adapter may not be the right one.
Member with 36 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 11:56 AM #5
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't really have any other chargers that I could use, I managed to find a wire (designed for use with the psp) that I could use to power the netbook using my actual laptop (which is itself plugged in). That resulted in the same thing.
Member with 24 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 07:24 PM #6
Return it to them as DOA. You could also try buying a generic adjustable power adaptor from Radio Shack and see what it does. WinCE does sound like complete fail, though.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,396 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 08:42 PM #7
It's honestly not worth the cost of a new power adapter though.
Member with 36 posts.

31-Jul-2012, 09:03 AM #8
yeah, can't say I plan on spending any money on it, I do have an adjustable power adapter which can be set to 7.5V, but there's no end on it that'll fit the netbook
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!