Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Very bizarre random power loss

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2012, 11:31 AM #1
Very bizarre random power loss
So usually I wouldn't bother other people with problems but I'm having real difficulty with this one.

My problem relates to my laptop seemingly randomly cutting out (as if it's lost all power, despite having a battery and being plugged into the mains) and then restarting a moment later. This shut down happens regardless of what I'm doing at the time, though I have noticed it seems to be more likely to occur when I'm not using the laptop - so when it's idle, not playing a video or on skype or playing a game or browsing the internet. The shut down is sometimes (but not always) preceded by the screen flickering once or twice and (more rarely) slightly wavering / cracking audio.

I almost never got any error messages but I have had ones mentioning a memory parity error and also an issue with my display driver. The laptop also sometimes, just before the shut down, locks up - so it freezes, isn't responsive to any input and can also play a long beep tone.

So I'm thinking this is hardware related. It doesn't seem like overheating as I've had overheating issues with this laptop in the past and it behaved differently ... I then fixed those issues by cleaning all the dust out ... just to be safe I've dusted it out this time and that hasn't fixed the problem. I've tried reseating the RAM and that also hasn't fixed the issue. I've updated the display and sound drivers, also to no avail. The drivers seemed to be more likely something to do with it once I worked out that the problem doesn't seem to occur on safe mode, but so far I've had no luck.

My specs from the tech support system info utility are:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5750 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3069 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 114115 MB, Free - 19411 MB; D: Total - 110488 MB, Free - 24572 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 6920
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

If you need any other specs, just ask.

I appreciate this is a weird problem and I'm not too optimistic but if any of you very kind people have any advice - even just that I should give up and think about buying a replacement - it'd be much appreciated
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!