Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hard drive issue Presario C300

(!)

Member with 26 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jul-2012, 01:04 PM #1
Hard drive issue Presario C300
Laptop c300 goes to blue screen on and then constantly reboots. Recovery console cannot detect a hard drive, the bios diagnostic gaves a #2-07 fail on the hard drive which seems to indicate the hard drive is almost gone. Is there some further diagnostic software u could boot up from a cd or augment the BIOS( I do not want to upgrade the BIOS as this can be tricky sometimes). I have puppy linux which did remove four virsues from the hard drive, maybe there is some utility on that which could help? Or are we looking at replacing the hard drive?
Computer Specs
Member with 61,125 posts.

30-Jul-2012, 02:14 PM #2
You can download the diagnostics from the HDD manufacturer, which is often available in a bootable format. Alternatively, you could download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD -- http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) which includes diagnostics from many HDD manufacturers, as well as memory and other diagnostics. Very handy, bootable CD.
Member with 26 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 01:54 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr3iz View Post
You can download the diagnostics from the HDD manufacturer, which is often available in a bootable format. Alternatively, you could download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD -- http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) which includes diagnostics from many HDD manufacturers, as well as memory and other diagnostics. Very handy, bootable CD.
Vivard surface test found no errors. There was some errors with the seagate test but generally ok. I put in a win xp cd but it could not detect the hard drive? why is that when UBCD could ?
Darith is online now Report Post
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2012, 02:03 PM #4
If it's a SATA drive, it's possible that the XP CD will not see the HDD unless you set the BIOS a certain way or install drivers during the boot process (the XP installation pauses to allow you to install drivers by hitting <F6>).
Member with 26 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 01:01 PM #5
Just emailed seagate as their websites shows no drivers for the momentus 5400.5 drive. Hp's website has no driver for the had drive only a updater to update the SATA controller interface.

When i put in a xp cd and press f6 to manually install driver i get "windows could not specify type of mass storage". Press s i get: "Could not find floppy drive to load OEM drivers". Press enter: "No hard disks". Of course the xp CDs i have are older than the laptop model so i am wondering the drivers on those CDs are not compatible? Also would anybody know a way to determine the model of the Cd drive. The best i can do w/o opening the laptop is to email hp with the part number so i get drivers from them or Philips?

As a interim measure i will try to install puppy or ubuntu. Will resizing he partitions or infact in this case creating a new partition damage the windows os. It usually doesn't but does anybody know for sure? I want to keep access to documents and settings of xp intact when in linux.

Also it isn't my laptop but would hp issue me or the current owner with a xp cd given that the product code is on the back of the laptop?
Darith is online now Report Post
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 01:13 PM #6
If the laptop came with Windows XP, you shouldn't need SATA controller drivers. There are no drivers for hard drives. It's the controller that requires a driver.

What are the hard drive settings in the BIOS set to? Did you reset those to defaults?
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 01:17 PM #7
No, Seagate would not be the source for the drivers needed. You would need drivers for the SATA controller. HP would be the best source for that. Otherwise, perhaps determining the SATA controller manufacturer and trying to find drivers on their Web site.
With the laptop serial number you should be able to order Recovery software from HP. Typically there is a nominal charge (I just ordered software for a Gateway I'm working on for about $20). Normally it is used to restore to new, open-box experience, it will have all the bloatware programs, etc. Not sure if there will be a repair option to allow you to save existing data. You should remove that prior to starting. If you don't have one, get a cable that you can use to connect a HDD to a USB port on another system to pull files off the questionable HDD.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!