Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Wires Running Over Graphics Card

(!)

Member with 25 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2012, 12:25 AM #1
Exclamation Solved: Wires Running Over Graphics Card
Hey everyone!

Alright so what I have isn't necessarily a problem but I am a bit curious about it.

I recently installed a new fan for my AMD FX 4-core 4170 4.2 processor because I noticed the temperatures were rather high with the old one, and the old fan that came with it sounded like a jet taking off.

The fan I bought came with a nice controller that I decided to install. Because of the amount of wires and whatnot it needed to have connected to run, I had to lay some of them on the top of my graphics card. Will this effect anything or should I have nothing to worry about?
Computer Specs
Member with 210 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 01:45 AM #2
What type of temperatures does the card run at? Does it have a fan or just a heat-sink, generally it should not hurt it but if it gets too hot or there is a fan, there will be a problem.
Member with 25 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 03:36 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePCguy95 View Post
What type of temperatures does the card run at? Does it have a fan or just a heat-sink, generally it should not hurt it but if it gets too hot or there is a fan, there will be a problem.
Well it does have a fan, two actually, but they are on the underside of the card, the wires that I am talking about are sitting on the top side of the card.

The card runs at around 60c under load I think.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,863 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 09:02 AM #4
Can you tie up the wires with tie wraps or string them so as to not lay across the card?

I doubt having wires just sitting on the backside of the card is going to do anything however when I build a system, I like extra pw connectors, wires, cables, etc neatly tied up and out of the way. Not only does this look better, it facilitates better airflow through the case.

Next if this is a cpu cooler/hsf, why not just use the motherboard's ability to control fan speed via cool&quiet?
Member with 25 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 06:05 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
Can you tie up the wires with tie wraps or string them so as to not lay across the card?

I doubt having wires just sitting on the backside of the card is going to do anything however when I build a system, I like extra pw connectors, wires, cables, etc neatly tied up and out of the way. Not only does this look better, it facilitates better airflow through the case.

Next if this is a cpu cooler/hsf, why not just use the motherboard's ability to control fan speed via cool&quiet?
Ok I did some messing around with it, and for the most part the wires are no longer on the graphics card.

I don't really have a lot of room TO neatly put them everywhere >_<. It's a pretty cheap case, I can't even put the side back on because it won't fit due to warping.

I was actually going to do it that way with the motherboard controlling it, but the fan connector is a 3pin and I think that removes the ability to control it with the motherboard, so I have to use the fan controller.
Account Disabled with 725 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 06:20 PM #6
I have never seen wires melt due to routing in all sorts of messy situations. I mean stuffed in between boards, on hard drives
and laying on the mobo. Now let the insulation get cut and short 5 or 12 to ground and there will be smoke, fire and jello.
Good luck.
Member with 25 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 06:26 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK G View Post
I have never seen wires melt due to routing in all sorts of messy situations. I mean stuffed in between boards, on hard drives
and laying on the mobo. Now let the insulation get cut and short 5 or 12 to ground and there will be smoke, fire and jello.
Good luck.
Ok so basically as long as the coating on the wires remains intact, there shouldn't be any problems, correct?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,863 posts.

02-Aug-2012, 09:08 PM #8
Quote:
I was actually going to do it that way with the motherboard controlling it, but the fan connector is a 3pin and I think that removes the ability to control it with the motherboard, so I have to use the fan controller.
Depends on the board. Both asus and gigabyte boards have numerous options under the smart fan menu; PWM [which is the 4 wire type cooler] Auto which will work with a 3 wire cooler, etc.

If you have a low end board, it may not have these options.

FWIW I would much rather have the mb control fan speeds instead of having an add-in panel.
Member with 25 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 06:29 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
Depends on the board. Both asus and gigabyte boards have numerous options under the smart fan menu; PWM [which is the 4 wire type cooler] Auto which will work with a 3 wire cooler, etc.

If you have a low end board, it may not have these options.

FWIW I would much rather have the mb control fan speeds instead of having an add-in panel.
I do not believe my board supports that, it was around 100 bucks. Anyway, thanks for solving my question everyone!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!