Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

touch screen not 'touching'! win xp

(!)

Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Aug-2012, 05:02 PM #1
touch screen not 'touching'! win xp
Hi

I'm trying to get a new viewsonic touchscreen monitor to work on an old xp system and cannot get the touch part to work.

I tested the screen on my work laptop which runs xp and all worked ok, I've also tested it on my windows 7 desktop PC. All nice and touchy

However on the older compaq presario system running windows xp I cannot get the touch to work. XP is up to date SP3. I've installed the drivers through that came with the monitor and the system recognised the new hardware and appears to have installed a HID compaitabile device in deveice manager.

I've tried updating drivers but no joy.

The system used to run an older touch screen which recently gave up hence the new replacement. it had MT touch software installed and I've removed this in case there was a conflict later in my attempts to get it to work.

Any suggestions on how I can get this to work?

Thanks you
Member with 1 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 09:28 AM #2
you won't get multi-touch to work, but here's a solution for "regular" touch i found on amazon.com:

“The kind folks at Viewsonic have carefully concealed the fact that, as shipped, the touch-screen function of this model does not work under Windows XP.

Yes, if you read the user guide, it says "connect the USB cable to your Windows 7 system," but that's the ONLY indication that this much-ballyhooed touchscreen monitor is a touchscreen ONLY if you have W7.

In fact, if you e-mail them, they will say that no XP driver is available.

HOWEVER, the touchscreen "guts" of the monitor identify themselves as a "Taction" touchscreen, which is actually made by Quanta. The HP L2105tm touchscreen monitor is based on the same hardware, and the HP driver (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=382087&prodSeriesId=403173 9&prodNameId=4031753&swEnvOID=228&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=vc-78373-1) will work with it.

It's a nice monitor, at a good price, but it loses 3 stars because (a) it doesn't come with an XP driver, and (b) Viewsonic incorrectly says that none is available.

This is the kind of baloney that drives me crazy. Shame, shame, shame.”

Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2012, 05:35 PM #3
Brilliant - I've downloaded the driver and will try again at the weekend.

In the meantime I called viewsonic and go the answer not fully functional in xp.

I'll post back on progress

Thanks again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
drivers, touchscreen, windows xp

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!