Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't start XP after changing motherboard

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Aug-2012, 12:49 PM #1
Solved: Can't start XP after changing motherboard
I have experienced the failure of an Intel D865GLC motherboard with Pent-4 3.0 processor. I have replaced the motherboard. Now, when powered on and after passing the Intel Logo screen, the screen blackens and displays this message, "The system could not be restarted from its previous location due to a read failure -- delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu." Beyond that point the only option I can see is to cut power.

I have an old Acronis startup CD that will open (shows on the monitor) after I have now reset the startup priority from C:\ to the CD, but I no longer have the Acronis backup file that is required to complete. (I mention this only to report that the monitor will receive from the CD drive.)

A computer friend thinks the MBR on the hard drive has become corrupted, but that is indefinite.

The computer was running XP home and came with the OS pre-installed. I don't have a CD for the home version, but I do have an XP PRO CD for another computer. I put it in the CD drive on the ailing computer and a message briefly came up saying to press any key to go to the CD, but when pressed or not pressed, the black screen message quickly reappears.

I obviously don't know what to do and need suggestions. Is there such a thing as a plain old start-up CD like we used to have for DOS that will let me begin getting back into business? My HD is a 250 gig IDE Western Digital that has a verification program which has been showing it to be in good condition. Everything was accessible prior to the motherboard failure.

I pray that someone out there has the expertise and patience to please help me. Many thanks if you do!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,448 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Aug-2012, 01:39 PM #2
Did you replace it with the same motherboard? If not then Windows will not boot correctly on a different motherboard; you'll need to do a Repair install of Windows or a fresh install of Windows(better) - in some cases you'll need to wipe the drive clean with a utility before Windows will do a new install.

If it is the same motherboard, and if you are using a SATA drive, then make sure you have teh controller set to the same mode as before; ie. IDE/Legacy, ACHI, or RAID.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 02:13 PM #3
Thanks for replying.

(1) In time back I had a problem that the local tech school people thought was due to a faulty CPU or motherboard. I purchased both, installed them, then still had problem. A tech student discovered a bad memory stick, so I kept the old board and processor as spares. Now the newer one has failed and been replaced with the old one. So, I now have a different motherboard but the same one that was originally in this computer.

(2) I don't have a CD from which to do a repair or fresh install. The XP OS came pre-installed with no CD.

(3) The drives are all IDE, one HD and two disk drives.

(4) I'm looking for an option that does not require reformatting the HD, if possible.

(5) As stated in my preceding post, the computer is running XP home edition with no CD. I have a CO for XP PRO that is running on another computer. Is it useable with XP Home to get the problem solved?

(6) I run DOS programs on the XP OS> Will the never Windows operating systems allow the use of DOS programs?

Can you comment on my answers, please? Thank you.

Last edited by oldchap; 03-Aug-2012 at 04:06 PM..
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 17 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Aug-2012, 05:04 PM #4
Try these two possible solutions:

1.In the BIOS screen, where the settings are, enable where it says "write caching."

2.Update the BIOS firmware revision, if possible.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 05:20 PM #5
Thank you, ImDatingJava.

Several have said I need to repair from the MS XP home diskette, which I never had. The OS was pre-installed on the computer - a dumb move, perhaps. Anyway, I found today a local person who works on computers and says he can make any of them work. I hope he is right. He likely has discs for all the MS operating systems. I can go to the BIOS and enable "write caching" but I'm uncertain about updating BIOS. I'll see what happens through my local contact before I try more on my own. I'm a residential electrician, not versed well on computer malfunctions.

My sincere thanks for your suggestion, which I might need to try.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

03-Aug-2012, 07:36 PM #6
If you bought a pre-built system with Windows XP installed, it was almost certainly an OEM licence which means it's tied to the motherboard. Replacing the motherboard requires a new Windows XP license as well as a repair or full reinstall.

I would suggest a new computer since a new, full Windows XP license will cost more than the motherboard or than the computer is worth.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,680 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 03:12 AM #7
When you change a motherboard in a computer unless its the exact same one you will have problems with activation because its considered a major hardware change and microsoft thinks you are using the COA key on a different computer instead of the one it was used on with the broken motherboard.All you can do since you dont have disks for it is buy a retail copy of xp home if you can even find one or possibly getting the correct recovery/ restore disks for that model of computer from whoever made the computer if its the same motherboard. If it isnt then i dont know if the recovery /restore disks will even work.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 04:04 PM #8
Thanks to all for suggestions. Today a young computer-literate friend opened the BIOS, enabled 'legacy' that had been disabled previously, booted from the same hard drive formerly in use, telephoned MS to activate, and had the computer going on the new motherboard in minutes. No operating system disk was required, no 'repair' or 'reinstall' was performed. I am a happy camper! BUT, your input was valuable in getting me to where I am. Thank you!
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 17 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Aug-2012, 03:52 PM #9
Glad your problem is solved!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!