Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Will my video card cope with bigger display

(!)

Member with 97 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2012, 05:42 AM #1
Solved: Will my video card cope with bigger display
Hi, I have a

VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G94 [GeForce 9600 GT] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82ad

which works a treat with 1 x 1440 x 900 and 1 x 1024 x 768 display, but I am looking to upgrade my display so I have

1 x 1920 x 1080 and 1 x 1440 x 900

Will my video card be able to cope with the resolution ?, oh performance wise, never play games so simple desktop effects are AOK

Cheers

Dave
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,325 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 05:46 AM #2
Here is the spec sheet for your video card. In short, yes it will support up to 2560x1600.
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...specifications

Note I have seen a few instances where you would need to uninstall your current video driver and then either reinstall the same driver or an updated version. If you do not see the necessary res option available after you connect your new monitor, then you might have to do the above.
Member with 97 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 05:56 AM #3
Thanks for the data sheet

So my card is dual head, the max VGA output resolution of 2048x1536, would that be per head or total ?

I am planning on having 2 x monitors a 1920x1080 and a 1440x900 so if its total that will be over the limit

Cheers

Dave
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,325 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 08:24 AM #4
I do not think you can config different res; it is either or not both. I could be wrong on this so let someone else chime in.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,378 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 11:59 AM #5
No, you can run independent resolutions as clone as you are not cloning displays. 1920x1080 is a breeze for any modern graphics, any card pretty much made in the last decade actually, the only exceptions being gaming and maybe Flash video and Flash video generally isn't an issue with any 256MB Geforce 8400 series or higher cards when paired with a dual core processor either and drivers that provide hardware acceleration.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,052 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Aug-2012, 02:37 PM #6
Even my ancient Geforce4 Go Laptop card does those resolutions.

I run a 1600x1200 laptop panel and a 1920x1200 external monitor at the same time.
Member with 97 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 01:39 AM #7
Thanks Guys, I appreciate your help

Dave
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!