Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Issues with a custom-built PC

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 07:56 PM #1
Issues with a custom-built PC
Hi all,

I've recently built a computer with the Gigabyte GA-7VM400M (revision 2, I believe) motherboard, an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ processor and Kingston 1GB DDR memory, as a usable filling to the void in my desk until I can build a more high-end rig.

I bought them used (from highly rated sellers on Ebay, though the memory is from an old, retired PC) and assembled them out of the case of an old, custom-built PC. I have none but the essentials (motherboard, CPU, and memory installed) yet the system fails to boot, giving an unrecognized beep code. I'm thinking it's the memory, but I got my doubts as I individually tried multiple cards, each being tested in different slots.

I've tried everything, from the multiple memory cards as stated above, trying multiple dedicated video cards, and reseating the CPU, and shorting the "clear CMOS" and "100MHz FSB" jumper pins.. However, it still gives the beep code.

The thing about the beep code is that it's not similar to anything listed on the motherboard's manual, and there's a BIOS tag on it for the Phoenix D686 BIOS, while the manual only mentions that the motherboard comes with the AMI and Award BIOS.

An audio file with the beep code can be found here.

Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Member with 11,349 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2012, 09:17 PM #2
That sounds like a dial up modem trying to dial. Do you have one installed?
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

04-Aug-2012, 11:06 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyjay View Post
That sounds like a dial up modem trying to dial. Do you have one installed?
Thanks for the reply. However, I do not have a dialup modem installed. The only optional components installed are the ones with that come on the motherboard, and that doesn't include a dialup modem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,018 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 03:17 AM #4
First of all, have you read and followed all steps in the guide for problem builds? If you follow ALL steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next with parts that old [at least 5 generations] I would give the mb a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any leaking capacitors.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 10:18 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crjdriver View Post
First of all, have you read and followed all steps in the guide for problem builds? If you follow ALL steps of the guide, you will find the cause of your problem.

Next with parts that old [at least 5 generations] I would give the mb a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for any leaking capacitors.
Thanks, I'll do this tonight or tomorrow when I have time.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 12:53 AM #6
After spending some time following the instructions in the guide, I have concluded the suspects are:

1: bad memory

2: bad motherboard (though I believe this to be highly unlikely)

I'll be buying some memory from Crucial that they've specifically listed as compatible with the motherboard, and I'll post back when I get it.
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 06:07 PM #7
(here's to keeping the threat from expiring while it ships)
Computer Specs
Member with 56 posts.

15-Aug-2012, 05:03 PM #8
Well, the memory came and it still didn't work. I'm just going to say the board is DOA. No biggie, I got it used for $20.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
beep code, bios, boot, motherboard

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!