Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Mouse drag

(!)

Member with 907 posts.

05-Aug-2012, 08:33 PM #1
Solved: Mouse drag
Just recently I have experienced a problem when I try to copy and highlight. . When I place the curser over script I can't seem to consistently grab and drag. Sometimes it only highlights one or two words then skips down and sometimes I end up with words being relocated within the script. Also, having difficulty even when I try to drag the scroll button and move from top to bottom. And sometimes when I click on something and then try to move it by dragging nothing happens. When I release the button the page or script will move but not necessarily where I intended it to move. Very strange.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Aug-2012, 08:37 PM #2
Please post your computers specs, if big box i.e. Dell, HP model #
What OS are you using?
Where is this happening MS word, browser?
You can also use this to post specifications
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

Sometimes mouse problems can be fixed by deleting the driver in device manager and rebooting.
Have you tried another mouse?
Member with 907 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 12:40 PM #3
I'm using a Asus Laptop K52F operating IE8. This happens whenever I try to drag and select text in word, email, etc. Again, when I click on a word and drag nothing highlights. Then I need to be careful because if I try again and don't pay attention it will highlight a few words and sometimes drag them to wherever I release the button. How do I delete the driver in Device Manager. Not sure about how to do.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Aug-2012, 12:46 PM #4
Start/right click computer/select properties/select device manager from left column/go to mouse and other pointing devices and select your mouse/right click select unistall. Then reboot your computer.

Your computer should have a way of turning off your touchpad. That may solve the problem to.
Member with 907 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 02:43 PM #5
Thanks for those suggestions but the mouse is still not working correctly. I'm using a Logtech wireless mouse. However, I did enable the laptop "Elan" smart pad without success. It's still troubling and just doesn't want to grab, hold and drag to highlight.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,800 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 02:48 PM #6
Do you have another mouse to try? Sounds like a mouse beginning to fail and swapping with a known good mouse is the easiest start.

Otherwise, can you try that mouse on another PC?
Member with 907 posts.

06-Aug-2012, 05:56 PM #7
Good idea. Don't have another wireless mouse but will get a hold of one and see. I did change the battery and that seems to have helped a little but not entireley. We may be on the right track. I'll keep everyone posted.
Member with 907 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 08:34 AM #8
I haven't had time to find another wireless mouse but perhaps changing the batteries helped resolve the problem or maybe my mouse has a mind of its own. I didn't think the batteries were that good. In any case the issue appears resolved at this point. Thanks for all the suggestins.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!