Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Multiple display graphics card

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 03:20 PM #1
Multiple display graphics card
So building my first computer and after doing plenty of research I am still confused like none other. I want a computer that's able to handle 2 displays in as much definition as possible (for the money) and a 3rd just being able to display basically standard paint don't really need much definition on it. Now this is where I'm confused to do this in the most economical way would it be better to just get a highly capable graphics card or dual card it with the second card being just a standard card.
Member with 3,848 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Aug-2012, 08:23 PM #2
To do what you are explaining, you will want two video cards. Use the same chipset brand to reduce chances of a conflict.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,208 posts.

07-Aug-2012, 09:51 PM #3
All new AMD cards can support a minimum of three monitors, some six, at pretty much whatever resolution you want, all you have to do is make sure it has at least three outputs that match your monitors, although adapters exist too and they do not affect quality of the output; any "definition" would likely be down to the monitors you have and not down to a modern graphics card.

Here's just a single example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814129232

But simply look into Eyefinity: http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...eyefinity.aspx

Beyond that, if you need a lot of processing power for gaming or CAD/Design applications then make sure the card has the performance for that.
Member with 2 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 08:33 AM #4
I wasnt really looking for AMD since I have had nothing but positive experiences with nvidia in my store bought... but not oppsed to the idea
Computer Specs

08-Aug-2012, 06:47 PM #5
Certain new nVidia cards now support three monitors as well: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html
Member with 3,848 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 08:32 PM #6
For AMD Eyefinity there are two items to be aware of: 1) one of the three monitors will need to attach to a Display Port, either natively or via an adapter 2) all of the screens should be the same resolution. You can use Eyefinity with different resolution monitors, but all of the monitors will be run at the lowest common resolution.

I've not used the new nVidia configurations and don't know if they have similar restraints.

So it depends on your hardware and what you want.
Computer Specs

09-Aug-2012, 08:14 AM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddba11 View Post
2) all of the screens should be the same resolution. You can use Eyefinity with different resolution monitors, but all of the monitors will be run at the lowest common resolution.
This is completely true as detailed in the FAQ: http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...ame-resolution

The monitors can be a different size and have resolutions when used in the typical Extended Mode.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!