Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Monitor: No Signal Input

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Aug-2012, 07:34 PM #1
Monitor: No Signal Input
Hello guys, I believe this is my first post on the forums, so please forgive my ignorance towards computers. My rig is pretty outdated by today's standards, but, until my current problem, I had no issues running video games, (Skyrim, SW:tor, CoD:MW 3). However, about a few weeks ago when I initially woke up the PC up from sleep mode, the desktop would show but then the screen would black, monitor light still green though. About a week ago, when I went to wake it up, the screen light turned green then immediately went orange and a "No Signal Input" warning flashed upon the monitor before it went black, no desktop view this time.

I initially thought monitor or video card. I switched both components, separately, with another PC in which both components are known to work, and the problem still persisted. I then tested the RAM individually, and also tested RAM with the other PC's that works fine. That stretched my PC abilities, thus I took it to a shop, and they did the some checks and came up with no definite solution other than motherboard or PSU. They ordered a 600w PSU and installed it with the same problem. My question is two part I suppose. Would, after those checks, it appear that the problem lay with the motherboard? And if so, would it be worth replacing a motherboard with such outdated hardware?

My PC stats, to the best of my knowledge:
GC: Nvidia 9800 gtx
PC: AMD (cannot recall specific model, but dated no doubt)
PSU: 600W
MoBo: Asus (unknown/shop couldn't tell) socket 940
RAM: 4g DDR2
It has 2 HDD's, but I can't tell specific speeds since it is in Korean.

Sorry I cannot provide anymore information regarding the hardware models, but I appreciate any potential feedback for a fix. For all I know, it could be some small fix being overlooked; software, hdd, or something along those lines. The shop told me they could find another motherboard with similar socket size at or around 120-200 US dollars. If that isn't the problem though, I could be out that much towards a new PC instead.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 07:29 AM #2
I would tend to think your mb has failed. Unless it is a relatively newer system, it generally is not cost effective to replace the board. Installing a more modern board, cpu, and ram is usually more cost effective however it it up to you.

In order to give you a more specific answer, you need to post the exact cpu and mb you currently have installed.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 45,330 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 12:09 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by systems1 View Post
Hello guys, I believe this is my first post on the forums,
Is this related to the same problem you posted on July 22nd?
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/1...leep-mode.html
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Aug-2012, 12:55 PM #4
Sorry for the delay, and yes it's the same situation. I marked the message as resolved once I took to the shop.

This is all I can find on the pcu and mobo.

pcu: AMD Athlon 64x2
mobo: Asus M2N AMD AM2 Platform
Nvidia nforce 430 MCP
Dual Channel DDR2 800/667/533
Q connector
Asus Crashfree Bios3
Asus EZ Flash2

I'm not sure how much information was needed for the motherboard, so I just posted what was on asus's website.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,179 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 07:36 AM #5
AM2 is at least 4 generations old tech and NOT worth repairing. There are a few am2, am2+, am3 boards still available new however they are very low end mb.

In short if your board has failed, it is time to replace it with a modern am3 or 3+ board and cpu, along with modern ddr3 ram.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!