Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

First Built Rig

(!)

Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Aug-2012, 10:21 PM #1
First Built Rig
Hello guys, I've been gaming online, MMO/FPS, since 2003, but I've always built pre-built rigs. I'm running some outdated gaming PCs, and I figured I'd give myself a shot at building my own this time. I don't have a great amount of experience, but, as every gamer does, I've upgraded numerous hardware parts over the years; video cards, processors, motherboards etc.

I am looking for feedback in regards to the hardware I have picked out. I'm not infinite with funding, but I want to build something to run online games on for quite a few years. I've done some research on various components, but I haven't sought out feedback on how well they may interact with one another. Again, this is my first attempt at constructing my own rig from scratch. Also, I'm looking for feedback on the best places to obtain the parts. So far, I've searched through tigerdirect.com and newegg.com, but I haven't dealt with them personally yet. Feedback on their service and prices would be a tremendous help to me at this point. If the system I present sounds like a fairly powerful set up and those websites prove to have decent service/prices, I hope to place the order on the Aug 15th.

I'm listing the prices I found at tigerdirect.com, but depending on the feedback I receive, I may change my potential source. Without additional word spam, here goes the rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k ($320)
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth z77 Intell Series 7 ($240)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hyrdo H100 CPU Liquid Cooler ($115)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 16gb ($100)
VC: EVGA Geforce GTX 670ti 2g ($400)
HDD: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracude 1TB 7200rpm ($90)
HDD: Crucial CT128M4SSD2 M4 2.5" 128g ($120)
Tower: Cooler Master RC-932-KKN5-GP Haf 932 Advanced full tower ($150)
PSU: OCZ OCZ-ZX850W ZX series Modular Power Supply w/ 140mm Fan ($135)
DVD/CD: Generic/decent

Currently, the total is sitting at 1670 excluding tax, but, again, that's only the tigerdirect.com listed prices without any potential student/rebate discounts. I intend on getting my operating system through UofLouisville and a decent DVD/CD from Walmart or Bestbuy. If you computer wizzes think this system is worth building, hopefully I can place my order within the week.

Thanks in advance for you feedback and input,
systems1
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 11:33 AM #2
Between newegg and tigerdirect, newegg hands down.

Are you planing to overclock this system? If not, there is no need for water cooling. The stock intel hsf works fine as long as the system is run at stock speed. If you are going to overclock, then I would go with a coolermaster 212 type hsf rather than water cooling.

Up to you however I would consider going with a 2500k and save $100 or so.

The crucial M4 ssd are very nice. I have 2 of them in raid0 and they are flawless; running extremely fast.
Moderator with 31,213 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 11:37 AM #3
One other item I noticed. That mb has had a number of bios updates that address system stability; some only a few days after the previous one. This is usually indicative of a mb with some design issues where the mfg keeps trying to fix it with a bios update.

I have never personally used that board so I do not know however excessive updates that address stability does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #4
For experience, and hopefully a little speed boost, I intend to attempt overclocking. I've found a few decent guides for how to do it without overdoing it, and hopefully I can follow those steps as a pc nub. I don't know any alternatives for the mobo, so I'll have to search around for an alternative or recent reviews for the one I listed. Thanks for the input guys.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Aug-2012, 01:28 PM #5
I agree with crjdriver on the coolermaster 212. A water cooled system is for extreme OCing. It's also like owning a swiming pool, a real maintenance pain. I'd rather play games.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!