Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

webcam and mic issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
08-Aug-2012, 05:19 AM #1
Angry webcam and mic issues
Hey guys,
I have a sony Viao laptop with a built in camera
and When I first got my comp it worked fine. Now when I go to use skype or any kind of camera service,
It says : webcam not detected, may be in use by another device please connect...
I don't even see the driver for it on my device manager. and sony's support site only has a driver for webcam companion 3
but nothing for the cam it self. plus my mic does not work either... please help..
Member with 2,536 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 01:53 PM #2
If the webcam is not shown in Device Manager, and it shows no error symbols either, it usually means the webcam itself or one of it's internal connections is faulty, such that it doesn't exist as far as Windows is concerned. If Windows was detecting it, there would be some sort of entry for it Device Manager even if it's driver was corrupt or missing.

The microphone may also be faulty. If the laptop is still under warranty, contact Sony. Otherwise, let a laptop repair centre take a look at it. Having it repaired by Sony with no warranty will cost a small fortune.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
09-Aug-2012, 01:16 AM #3
It does not show up at all in the device manager.
It's wierd cause it worked the 1 time I tried it and then I went to go on a few months later and I kept getting that error message.
The laptop is not under warranty anymore. so I guess I'll have to take it to geek squad or something,
It may be cheaper to just buy an external webcam tho.

thanks.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
mic not working, webcam doesn't work

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!