Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: optical drive not being functional

(!)

Member with 349 posts.

Experience: EVER LEARNING
08-Aug-2012, 09:53 AM #1
Solved: optical drive not being functional
Working on A Dell inspiron 17 N7010 Windows7, and the CD/DVD drive won't fuction. It says driver error code 39, yet when I update driver, it says I have the latest driver. I then "uninstall" via device manager and let the computer re recognize and install, but unfortunately, same process repeats.. I then tried with an external Optical drive, and even that fails with same exact errors, I'm stuck, any suggestions? THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited by JoeyG; 08-Aug-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,178 posts.

08-Aug-2012, 11:24 AM #2
I believe that is a laptop. Have you reseated the drive in the drive bay? If not, then I would do so.

Does the drive ID correctly in the bios?

Drives do not last forever; it may simply have failed. A very quick and easy way to see if it is a drive problem or a windows problem, is to boot the system with a linux live type CD [CD set as first boot device in the bios] If it boots ok and works with linux, then you know it is a windows problem. If linux fails to boot, returns errors, etc, then you know it is a hardware problem.
Member with 349 posts.

Experience: EVER LEARNING
08-Aug-2012, 11:31 AM #3
Thanks for your input, I greatly Appreciate it. I resolved it, it was a driver issue, I had to go thru windows Troubleshooting Hardware and sound Wizard, and it had to resolve a CD Filtering Issue, And another error, the wizard solved both issues, and now I'm up and running!!! THANKS again for your help as well!! This site really helps me, THANKS Again
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!