Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Mb failure? Any fix?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Aug-2012, 12:07 PM #1
Solved: Mb failure? Any fix?
Right where to start, I have a home built pc about 5 years old. All been fine up until now. We had a power surge from nearby lightning the other day, pc shutdown but worked fine after that for a few days, then my USB ports starte malfunctioning so I decided to change the pc case. I did the usual clean and moved to my old case (which worked fine). Upon startup I was greeted with 2 beeps and a keyboard/interface error press f1 to continue. I had no keyboard input so couldn't do anything, it continued to windows log in screen still couldnt do anything the USB ports and ps2 ports do not work. Turned off the pc and after some searching i reset cmos still same error i decided to put a old USB pci card I had lying around in and see if that worked with a USB keyboard an USB mouse which it did. So can log in and use windows. BUT I cannot access the bios settings to check them as the USB pci card does not work until the log in screen an I am still faced with 2 beeps and keyboard interface error. I tried fresh install of os but still same. is the motherboard fried? Anything else I can try?

EDIT: to add a bit more i just had my keyboard (which is ps2 and usb) into the pci card USB and to the original ps2 port and it did not do the error or 2 beeps but keyboard did not function at all so it must be recognising it? but when i moved it to the original usb along with the ps2 port it did the error and beeps. If i have just the usb keyboard plugged in to the pci card it does not work until the log in screen and does the error.

Last edited by roxiid; 08-Aug-2012 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: more info
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
08-Aug-2012, 12:22 PM #2
Sounds like it's time for a new mobo. AM2 or AM2+ mobos are getting hard to find from legit sources.
I have lost a lot of hardware in the past due to lightning, power surges and brown outs. That's Florida. Finally invested in an UPS with AVR for my two main PC's, best investment I ever made.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:27 AM #3
how can i be defo sure it has broke? i just find it surreal that the aux port (think thats what its called the green circle for sound system. Brain isnt working today) is still working. Could i have removed some drivers? or disabled USB'S and PS2 in BIOS? as i have a graphics card and im not using the onboard graphics i do not know ifthat port works or not and i shall check the ethernet when i get home. It was plugged into a surge protector tower but as you can tell that obviously did nothing. Is there any way for me to get into the BIOS to make it boot the USB pci card first? Its driving me insane haha!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:31 AM #4
You can continually hit the delete key while booting that will bring you into the bios.
Check Device Manager for any yellow triangles.
It's worth checking, but I don't think it is going to help.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:36 AM #5
Yeah first thing i did with usb keyboard was check device manager but nothing. I cant hit delete on anything as the usbs arent loading until the log in screen lol so i suppose it was a stupid question to start with as i said i think my brain is also broken haha! Well i'll order a new MB next week and just keep using it with usb keyboard and mouse until then.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:38 AM #6
Agree, I would replace the motherboard. Let me know what you are planning to buy. Like I said AM2 boards are hard to find.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:42 AM #7
ASRock N68C-GS FX Motherboard AMD Socket AM2/AM3/AM3+ DDR2/DDR3 Wth Graphics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASRock...#ht_6966wt_906

found this on ebay. To be honest i have no ideas what im looking for with motherboards. Everything else no problems but ive never even thought about replacing the motherboard to know whats good or not haha! Obviously i would not be using the onboard graphics. Whats your opinion?

Last edited by roxiid; 09-Aug-2012 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: No link
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:45 AM #8
I see on another post that you have used a registry cleaner (bad idea). Do you have a windows install disk? I would try a clean install of windows.
You can google search and find all sorts of info on using registry cleaners and it all comes down to they don't do much good and are likely to delete files that windows or other programs need.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:47 AM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxiid View Post
ASRock N68C-GS FX Motherboard AMD Socket AM2/AM3/AM3+ DDR2/DDR3 Wth Graphics

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ASRock...#ht_6966wt_906

found this on ebay. To be honest i have no ideas what im looking for with motherboards. Everything else no problems but ive never even thought about replacing the motherboard to know whats good or not haha! Obviously i would not be using the onboard graphics. Whats your opinion?
I don't like to buy from ebay, but you may not have any choice. At least the seller seems legit based on his feedback and the board is new. If it was me I would try to find an ASUS or Gigabyte board though.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:53 AM #10
i was thinking gigabyte but ive read a lot of bad stuff about them recently so was a bit weary, and as my old motherboards a asrock i just thought id stick to what i knew to be honest haha! ill have a quick look for a asus one later on and ill ring the computer shop near me see what theyve got.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 10:18 AM #11
ASUS and Gigabyte make their boards with quality parts. You will hear bad stuff about all components, but only listen to the experts.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 12:18 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by black-wolf View Post
I see on another post that you have used a registry cleaner (bad idea). Do you have a windows install disk? I would try a clean install of windows.
You can google search and find all sorts of info on using registry cleaners and it all comes down to they don't do much good and are likely to delete files that windows or other programs need.

The one i was using usually creates a folder for them and doesnt delete them so you can roll back the reg clean if need be. I always thought the one i use to be ok? Im sure somewhere i saw a microsoft review of it too, but ill trust you and stop using it. Could you check it out and see what you think just from the website or something? Its max registry cleaner. It sped my computer up a hell of a lot.
I tried a clean install of windows but its still the same i think the MB is fried, especially since next door just said the fuse box to the house is now illegal. They had theirs replaced and nearly killed the electrician in the process as he had turned all off but were still on! So no surprise the surge tower didnt work.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 12:25 PM #13
Just an example http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/thread/1004395342.aspx
The bottom line is your registry doesn't need cleaning.
Ccleaner is a good program, just don't use the registry cleaning portion.Windows includes all the tools you need to clean up your PC.
Computer Specs
Member with 20 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 12:40 PM #14
i have the spyware detector through them too should i stop using that? Up until now the programmes have been good to me and not broke anything to my knowledge, im a bit weary now after all this though. I did also have a problem with refunds from them as in the other topic. I had to renew for a year and instead of giving me the renewal price for both products i had to get them at the original price, then after i had bought it they offered me it at the renewal price. Naturally i asked for the refund of the difference i was told sure. It took 50 more emails and me quoting the sales of goods act at them for me to actually see the refund.

Completely off topic:

My desktop has 4 fans, 2 on sides one on bottom under hard drives and the cpu fan, yet my computer overheats. Just running desktop its around 48c and it turns off on games like empire total war if its a big battle. I use fresh coolant on the processor whenever i clean the computer out (every 6 months ish as its dusty here with all fields) do you think the processors is on its way out? Its fine if i have a desk fan pointing onto it, it doesnt shut off but wanted to be forewarned before another big expenditure
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 01:05 PM #15
It's a waste of money now days to pay for antivirus and antispyware. Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5201 or Avast are excellent and have little impact on your system while running http://www.avast.com/en-us/index

Then use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware about once a week also free.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/
http://www.superantispyware.com/

If you use Firefox Adblock plus is excellent and free https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir.../adblock-plus/
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!