Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

USB write protection

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Aug-2012, 05:16 AM #1
USB write protection
Hi all,

I'm new here, so hello!

I was just wondering if it is possible to apply write protection to a usb stick that is applicable across systems. I know you can do it for an individual computer by inserting a registry entry, but I want to make the stick itself write protected.

Basically I want to be able to whack a load of files on there that are going to someone else, and then write protect it to make sure the contents can be altered or added to later. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Computer Specs
Member with 55,880 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 02:00 PM #2
If you want something to be write protection so no changes can be made then burn a CD. A CD will also be a whole lot cheaper.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Aug-2012, 04:39 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewee View Post
If you want something to be write protection so no changes can be made then burn a CD. A CD will also be a whole lot cheaper.
Hi, thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it's a situation where we already have a load of USB sticks that need to be used (I've only come into this situation late!) so I'm trying to find a workaround!
Computer Specs
Member with 55,880 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 12:05 PM #4
Seem software or a hack to protect the USB will only work on the computer you installed the software or registry so thos will not work for you.
Then there are Protected USB drives but your using older ones so this is no good either

So then zip up the files and password protect them and then put them on the USB stick.

How do I create a password protected zip file?
Member with 500 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:24 PM #5
plug in the stick (call it F
open a Command Prompt (Admin rights is best)
go to F:
attrib +R *.*

that will make all files Read Only.
type in attrib /? for other options
you can take away the Read Only by attrib -r *.*
then change your files all you need to.

Foolproof? No
Generally sufficient: Yes
Member with 500 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:31 PM #6
almost forgot - If you need to fill up the freespcae on the stick
from an admin command prompt
fsutil file createnew F:\Temp.txt 10000 (still calling the stick F: )
will create an empty temp.txt file that uses up 10000 bytes of freespace.
you can adjust the size as needed, and may need to create more than 1 depending on OS
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 09:37 PM #7
That's a lot of trouble to go through for completely false "protection". That fact is that there simply is no way to make any kind of file or document "read only". If the RIAA and movie industries cannot find a way to completely prevent piracy or simple copying, there's certainly no way you're going to come up with something. The more a company tries to protect their content and essentially accuse everyone of being a potential criminal, the more they're likely to lose business, revenue, and tick off their customer base.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!