Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Wont let me boot up after wipe

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

09-Aug-2012, 09:44 PM #1
Wont let me boot up after wipe
I used a DBAN wipe i downloaded on to a cd and after i wipe it it will just go back to the DBAN wipe menu and wen i try to take the disc out it tells me to insert a boot disk
Member with 3,853 posts.

Experience: Advanced
09-Aug-2012, 09:52 PM #2
If you wiped the HDD (which it sounds like what you performed), then you can no longer boot from the HDD. As the error states, insert a boot disk. As you have no OS, that would mean insert a bootable OS installation disc (ie: Windows XP, Vista, Win7, etc.).
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

10-Aug-2012, 01:43 AM #3
When a drive is wiped its now empty of any operating system.You will have to reinstall whatever system was in there and have it boot from the cd or dvd.Wiping a drive is a drastic measure unless you are selling or giving away a computer and dont want anything sensitive left on there for the next person.
Member with 2 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 06:14 PM #4
i dont have a windows 7 boot disk but is there anyway i can download one online
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,224 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 07:33 PM #5
What kind of computer do you have? Is it a brand name such as an HP or Dell? Did Windows 7 come pre-loaded on the computer? Do you have a sticker on the side of the computer with a Windows 7 License/Product Key and for what version?
Member with 504 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 07:49 PM #6
You may still have a Restore or are Recovery partition on that hard drive. Google something like Recovery partition hp laptop or Acer laptop or Dell or.... you may luck out and find the simple keystrokes you need when you turn it on to activate the recovery process and reload you original OS.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,224 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 07:57 PM #7
DBAN tends to wipe the whole drive. But in any case, we still need to know what computer we are working with.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 05:59 PM #8
Not after using DBAN. That drive is wiped to zeroes.
Computer Specs
Member with 30 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 06:02 PM #9
If you don't have the installation disks, you can download the OS .iso files here (http://en.community.dell.com/support...tal-river.aspx), but you'll need to locate a valid product key in order to activate Windows after installation. This is often found on a Certificate of Authenticity sticker somewhere on the body of your computer or with the original installation disks. If you don't have that and don't want to pay for a new version of Windows, you can try Ubuntu (www.ubuntu.com), which is a free Linux operating system.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 08:58 PM #10
You might be able to get recovery/restore disks for your model of computer for a small fee if its a dell, hp, acer, etc.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dban, wipe hard drive

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!