Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

two keys not working

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 370 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2012, 10:20 AM #1
two keys not working
I can't type the keys that aren't working because they don't work. but they are the question mark and the letter after Y.

I removed one of the keys to see if there was some obstruction there. There wasn't. Then the keys worked again - BOTH of them worked. Then, both of them again stopped working. This doesn't sound like a physical problem. Any solution at all out there.... I have a Toshiba Satellite 64 bit with win7
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is online now DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 10,184 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 03:19 PM #2
Sometimes if the screws that hold the keyboard in place - see bottom of laptop - are tightened too hard or unevenly it can stress the keyboard and keys don't register.

Try slackening them a little and doing them up again evenly and not too firmly.
Computer Specs
Member with 370 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 04:17 PM #3
No luck....and probably if that were true other keys would have been affected and probably it would have shown up when I first purchased the computer.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 53,063 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 06:47 PM #4
not a solution but may help while finding a solution
start>all programs>accessories>ease of access> on-screen keyboard
Member with 506 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 06:59 PM #5
An external USB keyboard may be a work-around for you. At least if the keys on it always work, you know the rest of the laptop is good to go. Keyboard replacements are generally very easy and the keyboards very inexpensive to buy a replacement. Novice, or not, odds are high you can find a how to replace the keyboard video on you tube, or step by step from a google search. After seeing them, you can decide if it is something you should try at home.
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2012, 03:17 AM #6
Are you using the same computer with keyboard problems or a different one to post, cause it looks like your U, A.K.A. the letter after Y is working just fine. Unless by the letter after y you mean z, or you are using a dvorak keyboard, in which case I have no clue which key comes right after y.
Computer Specs
Member with 370 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 06:57 PM #7
i meant the letter in the alphabet after y
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2012, 08:49 PM #8
OK. Just checking, cause some people use that to say u. If your keyboard is like the ones I have taken apart, then it could be that the trace lines for the buttons that aren't working are cracked between the button and the control board. How old is your Toshiba? Is it still under warranty? If so either send it in for repair, or get a replacement.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!