Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IDE HD recognized by Device Manager but not by Disk Management

(!)

Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:05 PM #1
IDE HD recognized by Device Manager but not by Disk Management
Hi ,

I have a bare IDE HD that I would like to access but my Windows XP machine recognizes it only in Device Manager but not in Disk Management.

I have the bare IDE HD hooked up to my windows XP machine via a USB adapter.

any ideas how i can get my computer to recognize the disk so that i can browse its contents?
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 9,422 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Aug-2012, 01:12 PM #2
You need to partition and format it.
Get hold of http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-...n-manager.html or similar free partition tool an use that.
You can do it through Disk Management, but that is limited and that tool is easier to use and more powerful.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:34 PM #3
This IDE Seagate Barracuda 7200 - 400 gbyt HD was in a SimpleShare NAS device. It has a bunch of files I need to retrieve off of it.

I've removed the PIN config so that it is a SLAVE.

I do not want to partition and format because I'll lose all the data.

Any ideas?
Member with 3,750 posts.

Experience: A Linux user gone nuts on multi-boot
11-Aug-2012, 01:50 PM #4
If the disk has been used as a Network Attached Storage device (NAS) then it has been formatted to a filing system controlled by the NAS system. The only way you can retrieve the data is hook it back to the NAS.

A better system now available is Network attached hard disks in which you can use Fat or NTFS filing system throughout. Thus if the disk isn't used as a network hard disk (same function as a NAS) you can hook it up as a USD device, say USB 3, and able to access the drive at speed faster than that in the network.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:54 PM #5
yes, but SimpleShare (the company) is out of business and does not support the product any longer. I still have the network disks but I was unable to get the PC to recognize it on the network.
DaveBurnett   (Dave) DaveBurnett is offline DaveBurnett is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. DaveBurnett has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 01:58 PM #6
You could have told us that.

You might be able to read the disk and files if you use a live Linux CD such as Puppy Linux or a Linux based data recovery CD.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 02:01 PM #7
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for not giving you all the details. Let me know if you need any further info.

Yes, I'm not familiar with Linux. How would I grab these programs and extract the files off this drive?
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 02:41 PM #8
I think that disk is formatted with ReiserFS file system.
Now I know that Puppy Linux will recognise that and automatically let you access the drive to copy the files from it.
Puppy will also recognise all Windows drives as well.

Download Lucid 5.2.8 or Lupu 5.2.8.005 Puppy iso from http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm and burn the iso to cd as an iso not as a file. Do not finalise the CD. Then boot from the CD and follow the instructions. It will not touch your disks without asking you or you telling it to. I use Lucid 5.28 which is why I suggested that version.
Once loaded and configured you should see drive icons at the bottom of the screen for each of the disk partitions it has found. Just click on each until you find the NAS drive partition and the one you want to copy to.
Then just right click and drag drop the files you want from the window with the nas to your target drive. Confirm copy.

When you have finished with Puppy and close it , it will offer to save all your settings. I suggest you save them back to the CD for now (which is why you shouldn't have finalised the CD) The next time you boot to Puppy it will use all your saved settings saving you from going through all the set-up again.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 03:37 PM #9
Hi Dave,

I'm downloading it now...
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 04:25 PM #10
Hi Dave,

Not sure what you mean by "burn the iso to cd as an iso not as a file. Do not finalise the CD"

I downloaded the Puppy ISO file and dragged it onto my "D drive" i.s. my CD ROM drive. Now the file is ready to be written to the CD.

Do I write the file to the CD now? I'm confused whether I'll be "writing the file to the CD" OR "will I be finalizing the CD?"

Please advise.
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 04:50 PM #11
Do NOT use the built-in writer.
That ISO file is an image of a bootable CD and needs to be written to a CD in a special way that MS haven't bothered with till recently.
You need to get hold of a free CD/DVD writer that can write an ISO image to the CD. Any of those on this page will do (I use the portable version of ImageBurn) You need the Write image file or write ISO file option and change settings to not finalise.
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...election_Guide

One of the options when burning a CD is to finalise or close the CD so no more writing to it is possible. You do not want to finalise it or Puppy won't be able to save your settings back to the CD.
If you get to like Puppy, you can install it to just about any bootable media and save your settings to just about anywhere else.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 04:55 PM #12
OK, thanks for clearing that up, I thought something was wrong...

I'm downloading CDBurnerXP now...will this work?
Computer Specs

11-Aug-2012, 05:02 PM #13
Yes it will.
As an aside I always disable the CD burning built into Windows as it is not very well implemented and (as far as I'm concerned) causes lot of problems by confusing people.
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 05:09 PM #14
My Windows XP machine will not boot from the CD in which I've copied the ISO Puppy image upon. Was i suppose to also put bootable windows XP system files on this disk so that it would boot?

I'm confused.

please advise
Member with 546 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 05:14 PM #15
do I need to disable built-in CD burning by Windows BEFORE I can use 3rd party CD burning software?

If so, How do I disable Windows CD burning?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!