Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Slight shimmer (?) when reading text

(!)

Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
11-Aug-2012, 12:44 PM #1
Slight shimmer (?) when reading text
A few days ago, I got a video card update. I installed it, and since then I have a slight "shimmer/ghosting/don't really know what to call it" when reading text. I tried a restore point, but it doesn't seem to do the trick.

The shimmer is barely visible, it just makes my eyes go fuzzy when reading text, especially black on a white background. It is hard to focus on one letter, as they seem to be hanging in the air in front of the monitor almost. As focusing on letters is what I do for a living, and I have to focus on tiny stripes of black on white (Arabic vocalization), it makes me not happy. I had this problem once before with this video card, and ended up buying a new monitor, which did the trick... until now.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 3800 series video card; and a BenQ G2420HDBL Digital monitor. Cables are all properly attached. I can't find this problem on Google. Any ideas?
JennyJackson01   (Jenny) JennyJackson01 is offline JennyJackson01 has a Profile Picture
Member with 636 posts.

11-Aug-2012, 01:51 PM #2
Make sure you`ve installed the correct driver for your system and card as the wrong driver can give you some weird and wonderful combinations.

You don`t say what system you`re running but try going into display settings on the desktop and choose `Clear type` rather than `Standard` and also adjust the refresh rate to see if that helps.

Jenny
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,703 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
11-Aug-2012, 01:59 PM #3
Please use the TSG System Info tool to let Tech's know the specs of your computer: http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe Copy and paste the results here in your thread.
Also, if its a brand name system like an Acer,Dell or HP, please post the exact model of the system.
Member with 13 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 11:52 AM #4
Quote:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 12286 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 127875 MB; E: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 6 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., M5A78L-M/USB3
Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled
I have the correct driver. Clear Type was enabled, I tried disabling it, but that's worse. I have the choice between 59 and 60 Hz refresh rate, I don't see much difference.

Last edited by Cat_of_Ulthar; 12-Aug-2012 at 12:13 PM..
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,703 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:09 PM #5
Is there a way you can roll back to previous driver?
Member with 13 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:32 PM #6
Smart thinking, Batman. I tried that, but it appears not to have helped. Is it not a driver issue? Then why did it appear when I installed the new driver? Looking very close at my screen, it appears that there is a slight shadow of about one pixel around the letters; especially bold ones.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,703 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:55 PM #7
Any chance of trying another monitor or trying your monitor on another system?
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 12:59 PM #8
How old is your card? Are you running DVI or VGA? I ask because I have seen some cards have a similar if not the same issue when running DVI but when switched over to VGA, they have no problems.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,703 posts.

12-Aug-2012, 01:02 PM #9
You could try doing a System Restore to a point prior to this problem.
Member with 13 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 12:45 PM #10
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

- I tried my monitor on my old system: same issue

- I tried connecting via a VGA - no difference

- I tried a restore point, but that didn't make a difference either
Computer Specs
Member with 3,703 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 01:11 PM #11
If I'm reading it right, you mention you did try your monitor on your old system and had the same issue. This would mean your monitor is the problem and not your card.

That's a good looking monitor, is it by chance under warranty?
Member with 13 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 04:41 PM #12
That would be nice, but it isn't any more... I did send an email to BenQ though, asking if they had any idea.

Last edited by Cat_of_Ulthar; 14-Aug-2012 at 04:57 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 04:55 PM #13
Since it's not under warranty, if you feel comfortable taking it apart, look to see if the caps are going bad, bulging out on the top instead of being flat. If so, that could very well be your problem and replacing those would be cheaper than getting a new monitor.
Member with 13 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 05:12 PM #14
Ehm. Notice that word on the right that spells Beginner? I had to google what you meant by caps even, to me THOSE ARE CAPS

I will do that rather than buy another new monitor (I bought this one just over a year ago after I had the same issue with my old monitor!), but I'd prefer a less invasive solution. I'll hear what BenQ have to say for themselves.
Computer Specs
Member with 121 posts.

14-Aug-2012, 06:31 PM #15
Sorry cat, have a million things going on at once hear and failed to see beginner on your experience. My bad. But getting info from BenQ is a smart move no matter your experience level. If they are willing to replace it at little to no charge to you (meaning only paying for shipping and handling) then go for it. Otherwise I, and I am sure others on here but I don't speak for them, am here for you to ask how to walk through it. Though I may not respond right away if you need me, as I said before, million things going on for me right now.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!