Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Elan Touchpad Disable Palmtracking

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Aug-2012, 10:33 AM #1
Elan Touchpad Disable Palmtracking
I'm running the most recent driver on my Elan touchpad (v. 10.7.6.2). With this update came automatically activated PalmTracking, which causes a 2-3 second delay on the mouse after every keystroke. I can't find a way to disable the PalmTracking. Everything I've seen through searches so far shows how to disable this with older versions. The only available 'properties' screen looks like this:

Having the PalmTracking activated is really frustrating - particularly since it used to be possible to disable it. Does anyone know of a way to disable it with this driver version? I'm also including the rest of my computer's information at the bottom. Thanks for any advice!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 4007 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 182271 MB, Free - 26274 MB; D: Total - 272775 MB, Free - 187621 MB;
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD., RF511/RF411/RF711
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,499 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2012, 10:56 AM #2
That does sound like an annoying feature.

If there is nothing within the settings/properties window you included in your post, I can think of three options:

1) Disabling the trackpad drivers entirely. This options will fix the delay problem, but you will lose all the other useful functions of the trackpad.

2) Rolling back to a previous version of the driver.

3) Editing a registry value to turn off the feature (this may not even exist).

-------------------------------------------------------

Assuming you'll want to try out option 3, I'll need you to make a System Restore point first.

After you've done this, proceed with the directions below.

-------------------------------------------------------

Click Start.

In the search bar type regedit and hit Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPadDisplay.

Click File.

Click Export.

Save the file to your Desktop as a .txt file.

Copy and paste this export and include it in your next post.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Aug-2012, 01:45 PM #3
I have rolled back my drivers a few times - which usually solves it - but then when my laptop updates again, it usually sneaks the touchpad driver in along with other things and I have to go through the rollback procedure all over again. So, it does work that way, but is just a step I'd rather not deal with.

I tried copying and pasting the text from the registry key here but it was so big Chrome crashed every time. And I tried uploading it, but that failed as well. Is there a particular portion that I could copy for you that would help out?
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is offline TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,499 posts.

Experience: Advanced
13-Aug-2012, 02:01 PM #4
Just look for something in the export that mentions PalmTracking - that's what I would be looking for anyway.

If you see it, copy and paste it and some of the text around it.

If you don't see anything, go with rolling back the driver as your solution.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!