Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem with a CPU.

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2012, 02:11 AM #1
Problem with a CPU.
Got a Phenom2 quad, 945, 95W version, deneb core if that means anything. I'm intermediate on building these things, so I know some stuff but not really gung-ho on it all. I just swapped a mobo out, and for a bit it was getting up to 50 celcius, just idle. Bluescreened twice. Thermal paste was Arctic Silver 5. I've been surfing info, and apparently the stock cpu cooler is enough. The 50 celcius i mentioned is idle temp; after a bit it is now idling at 40 celcius. Did I do something wrong, or did it need to fuse or something, or is it just a bad cooler or factory mishap or something? I had bluescreens on the old board, thought it was the video card. Catch is, they stopped when I finally got an AC unit for my window; that card was a XFX HD-6790-ZDFC. Replaced it with a GT210, didn't bluescreen on me for a while. Just tonight, after install; the cpu is the ONLY thing from the original rig atm. I haven't tried the other card in a while, but I know it is a beast; had to use 7 fans in that case. Things are randomly crashing now and I need to restart every 20 minutes or so; I had noticed the processor had a nick in it when the tech guy first installed it in the first mobo, and it was (supposedly) new out of the box. I mean, probably a dumb question, but I don't know how delicate they are exactly; I just always use extreme caution and a grounding strap when handling them myself. That nick didn't get any bigger, but I also can't see nanometers without a guage. I can see multiple areas of possible messes in this situation, just figured I'd post and see what some tech-heads who do this everyday might have to say...?
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:25 AM #2
So let me get this right. Big tech forum meant to help folks. Already got one 100 views. Not a single reply? What, was the question too basic or something?
Drabdr   (Brad) Drabdr is offline Drabdr has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Community Moderator with 9,926 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 07:45 AM #3
Tootle,Nakabaka I've deleted your off topic posts. Please keep things positive.

Nakabaka, there are a number of reasons why there are large views to your query. People may look and not know how to answer.

Please be patient.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,016 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 09:06 AM #4
First of all, did you do a clean install of windows when you swapped boards? If not [and you did not follow the procedure outlined at the top of the forum for this task] you are asking for a problem.

Next did you apply the thermal compound IAW [in accordance with] the instructions on the A/S site? If you applied an amount greater in size than a BB, you will need to R&R the hsf and do it correctly.

Here is how you apply thermal compound for an amd type cpu;
1 With all parts clean and dry, apply a BB sized amount of A/S to the center of the cpu heat spreader.
2 Install the hsf and attach the retaining clips however do not lock down the camlock.
3 Give the hsf a few twists back and forth. Now lockdown the camlock and connect the fan lead.

Done. BTW that cpu should idle in the mid 30s in a normal room temp.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 03:23 PM #5
No, i didnt install the cpu, the tech guy did. He put the tip of the applicator against the face of it and made a thin layer in a square line around the edge of the cpu, then a squiggly line through the middle in the same manner. Then he mudded it around with the tip of his finger.
I did do a clean reinstall of the os. However i installed easytune 6 this time via express install in the driver disk and now every time i boot into windows it automatically asks me do i want to allow it to make changes. Another poster on here said his bsod's didnt start til after he installed that program and that it auto-oc'd his rig, could that be what happened to mine?
By the way, i guess i should have posted my experience level as beginner because an ape can plug a cord into a socket, and thats the real extent of my understanding of how to build a comp.
Computer Specs

17-Aug-2012, 04:58 PM #6
OK, that is NOT how you install arctic silver. You need to follow the instructions on the A/S site. At this point, I would do the following;
1 Read the instructions on the A/S site before doing anything
2 Pull the hsf and clean ALL parts with 91 or 99% alcohol. Do not use the 70% stuff you find in the supermarket
3 Install new compound as per the instructions on the site. For an amd type, you need just a small amount in the center of the heat spreader.

Next issue. DO NOT use the drivers or utilities from the support CD unless absolutely necessary. Instead go to the gigabyte site and download the updated drivers that you will need; ie chipset, lan, sound, etc. Store those on a flash drive, external, etc.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:31 PM #7
Ok so once i reapply the a/s, cleaning a given and i originally cleaned it before taking it in with 91% (where can i find 99%?), should i do another fresh os reinstall? And does it matter that it was a/s 5, not 9?
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 06:52 PM #8
Never mind my 2nd question, was going off what the installer said and having read the site, realize there probably isn't a 9.
Computer Specs

17-Aug-2012, 08:31 PM #9
If you swapped mb [and the new one is not the exact same board] you either need to follow the procedure outlined at the top of the forum OR you need to do a clean install.

Sometimes you can do a repair install however it is somewhat hit and miss as to whether or not the repair install works. If it were me, I would just do a clean install of windows; updated drivers [not the ones on your support disk] and all windows updates.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 09:24 PM #10
Ok do i did all of that. I downloaded a program called speedfan. Friends seemed to have success with monitoring it. Its reading 4 temps in my system: 1, 2, 3, and core. 1is 36, 2 is 41, 3 is fluctuating between 49 and 52 and core us 37, all celcius. Now i just figure that core is cpu, but what are these other temps of? All are default settings btw. Also it registers 3 fans, 1 2 and then 1 again, speeds being 13rpm, 3153rpm and 2385rpm, respectively. If i knew where these readings are defaultly taken i could adjust cooling accordingly. This version of speedfan, i believe, is 4.83 if i remember right.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

17-Aug-2012, 10:01 PM #11
Also, that sticky doesnt apply because i did a clean reinstall...
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 04:48 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakabaka View Post
Ok do i did all of that. I downloaded a program called speedfan. Friends seemed to have success with monitoring it. Its reading 4 temps in my system: 1, 2, 3, and core. 1is 36, 2 is 41, 3 is fluctuating between 49 and 52 and core us 37, all celcius. Now i just figure that core is cpu, but what are these other temps of? All are default settings btw. Also it registers 3 fans, 1 2 and then 1 again, speeds being 13rpm, 3153rpm and 2385rpm, respectively. If i knew where these readings are defaultly taken i could adjust cooling accordingly. This version of speedfan, i believe, is 4.83 if i remember right.
If you want to check temps, you check them in the bios. Speedfan often returns flaky data; it just depends on what sensor it decides to use and give whatever name to ie cpu, system or whatever. If you really have to use a software app, download the latest version of easytune from the gigabyte site. It is made for your board [unlike speedfan]
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:34 PM #13
Easytune is when i began having the issues, now that you mention that much. Anywho, i ran memtest on my ram on a friend's rig overnight, did 4 cycles without a hiccup so i know it isnt my ram. The bsod i kept getting had to do with either ram, vram or the lv2 ram cache which im not sure the exact location of. Gonna just go get the board replaced under its warrantee since their idiot had his finger all in the goop and already got a new cpu and cooler on the the way. Thx.
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 03:29 PM #14
Quote:
Anywho, i ran memtest on my ram on a friend's rig overnight
That really does not tell you much if anything. Just because ram works on one system, does NOT mean it works on all systems. This is why gigabyte publishes an approved list of ram. If your ram is on the list for your board, it means it has been tested and found to work with that mb. Does your ram need a higher vdimm or ram voltage? If so, have you set the correct voltage in the bios?

Quote:
Easytune is when i began having the issues
This is why you never use the drivers or utilities on the support disk unless absolutely necessary. You download the latest releases from the gigabyte site. The drivers on the support disk are almost always outdated.
Computer Specs
Member with 15 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 11:18 PM #15
In regard to ram, yes i am aware of the voltages and vdimm stuff; ive looked at the approved list and my ram specs match most of those on the approved list. I cant see why it wouldnt. And i ran it in his in case the mobo is damaged; no sense in getting THAT tainted of a readout, since the processor got oc'd it might have affected the board. Ive checked out some benchmark reviews and turns out its cooler was actually LESS capable than the am2/+ ones, while the processor needed MORE cooling. So i'm guessing its the processor. And i reused the driver disk; manually picked which ones and left easytune out. I do greatly thank you for directing me to the a/s website; it has bsods now only every 15-20 minutes instead of every few. Plan of action is to toss current cpu and cooler (i got paid $5 from a metal recycler for that cooler ), get mobo replaced since it has a 7 day warrantee in-store, and use this cpu i just ordered with an after market cooler.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!