Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure

(!)

Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Aug-2012, 04:52 PM #1
Exclamation PXE-E61: Media Test Failure
Hi All,
I have seen all the other posts about this problem in the forums and I believe my situation is unique. After getting that (PXE-E61: Media Test Failure) on a Presario V2306US and checking the BIOS and no drive was being seen, I purchased a new HD and am still in the same boat. Here's why I think my situation is unique compared to all other posts I've read. I'm able to boot to the CD drive to begin installing XP, the files are loaded and the HD is seen by the setup process. I start to format the drive and about half way through the computer just shuts down . That's as far as I can go.

Any ideas are gratefully appreciated..................Tom
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

Experience: Advanced
17-Aug-2012, 11:47 PM #2
Almost sounds to me like the power supply is failing. The PXE is the computer trying to boot from the network, so its no surprise you are getting a failure unless you are running Windows Server 2008 R2 with Deployment Services.
Member with 12 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 11:25 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0hnx777 View Post
Almost sounds to me like the power supply is failing. The PXE is the computer trying to boot from the network, so its no surprise you are getting a failure unless you are running Windows Server 2008 R2 with Deployment Services.
Hi John,
Thank you for the reply. I've tested the laptop's (external) power supply and it seems OK.
Any other thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again...Tom
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 01:23 PM #4
Usually when you see that it means that its trying to boot from a LAN, or theres no harddrive in there at all, or the harddrive has failed, or the drive isnt seated properly or is in wrong and yes they can be put in wrong ive done it before. lol!!!You can go to the BIOS and disable where it tries to boot from the LAN. Also make sure the harddrive is even recognized in the BIOS if not theres your problem.Make sure the booting order is correct also.
Member with 12 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:02 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUEOHIO View Post
Usually when you see that it means that its trying to boot from a LAN, or theres no harddrive in there at all, or the harddrive has failed, or the drive isnt seated properly or is in wrong and yes they can be put in wrong ive done it before. lol!!!You can go to the BIOS and disable where it tries to boot from the LAN. Also make sure the harddrive is even recognized in the BIOS if not theres your problem.Make sure the booting order is correct also.
Hi Sue,
Thank you for the reply. I cannot see the hard drive in the BIOS but I can boot with the XP install disk, formatting the disk and loading all files. But when it reboots to begin installation I get the "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure" again and it just continues to loop. I'm puzzled that the install disk sees, formats, and loads all files and the BIOS will not see the drive.
This is a new hard drive because I couldn't see the former HD in the BIOS. I'm stumped !

Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Thank you again for the reply......Tom
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,682 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:26 PM #6
If the harddrive isnt even shown in the Bios theres something definitely wrong somewhere. I would maybe take it someplace and see exactly what the problem is.Its very possible the new harddrive is faulty.Ive had 3 brand new seagates fail on me so you just never know with harddrives.You are most welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!