Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

All In One PCs

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 133 posts.

Experience: Good user - not a techie
18-Aug-2012, 05:37 AM #1
All In One PCs
Later in the year i'm thinking about buying an HP or Acer All-In-One PC.
Reason is that I want to get a PC with touchscreen ability at a reasonable price.

Could anyone please tell me how are upgradable & repairable they are (especially memory or if the HDD fails)?
Also how good are they for web designers?

All help much appreciated

Last edited by chartwise; 18-Aug-2012 at 05:44 AM..
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 09:42 AM #2
Depends entirely on the specific model.

This one is the most upgradeable all-in-one. It's also the most expensive. Cheap ones aren't as upgradeable if at all.
http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...n-ENERGY-STAR-
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,220 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 09:48 AM #3
Memory and hard drive are always upgradable or at least replaceable; you may not be able to add more if the system is already at the maximum of what it can support.

For deisgn work, you may want a unit with a dedicated video card that can do hardware acceleration, but you'd have to see what your software supports or if it can benefit from such acceleration.

18-Aug-2012, 10:00 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
Memory and hard drive are always upgradable or at least replaceable; you may not be able to add more if the system is already at the maximum of what it can support.
I wouldn't make that assumption. All-in-ones are heading in the direction of disposable devices. The new Apple MacBook is not upgradeable at all, and there may certainly be all-in-ones that are not upgradeable in any way as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 133 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 05:44 AM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I wouldn't make that assumption. All-in-ones are heading in the direction of disposable devices. The new Apple MacBook is not upgradeable at all, and there may certainly be all-in-ones that are not upgradeable in any way as well.
I definately don't want a MAC being used to Windows PC since the Windows 98 days

Do you know of any HP or Acer desktop PC packages with touch screen capability please?
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 10:20 AM #6
I wasn't suggesting you buy an Apple Mac (not all capital letters). I'm making a point about upgradeability. Touch screen support will be limited until Windows 8 comes out.

I posted a link to very upgradeable all-in-one from HP.
Computer Specs
Member with 133 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 12:37 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I wasn't suggesting you buy an Apple Mac (not all capital letters). I'm making a point about upgradeability. Touch screen support will be limited until Windows 8 comes out.

I posted a link to very upgradeable all-in-one from HP.
Buying a Mac is definately out of the question. Main reason: I'd have to buy all new software which is damned expensive.
Also never having used a Mac would be a steep learning curve especially with a one button mouse.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!