Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Laptop Windows 7 won't boot

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2012, 10:47 AM #1
Solved: Laptop Windows 7 won't boot
It worked earlier today, but now it won't boot. Turn power on, a few led lights by the power button above the keys, come on and the fan starts, black screen. Then it appears to turn off or hesitate and then repeats the pattern over and over. I get no HP logo or anything, just a black screen. Tried starting holding and tapping the F8 key and nothing. I know nothing about this machine so need a lot of help.
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 01:28 PM #2
It could be any number of things but it sounds like either a harddrive problem or the motherboard is going bad.
Member with 15 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:17 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmp View Post
It worked earlier today, but now it won't boot. Turn power on, a few led lights by the power button above the keys, come on and the fan starts, black screen. Then it appears to turn off or hesitate and then repeats the pattern over and over. I get no HP logo or anything, just a black screen. Tried starting holding and tapping the F8 key and nothing. I know nothing about this machine so need a lot of help.
I had that problem with a HP Pavillion DV6700 and it's a known problem with that line of laptops (with a NVIDIA Graphics Chip and an AMD processor.) I believe there's a class action lawsuit against HP for a poor cooling design flaw.
If you have a model with those components the NVIDIA Chip has to be reflowed and involves removing the motherboard completely, heating the NVIDIA chip and adding a copper shim to help in cooling. I've done it and it worked but only temporarily in my case, so I'm going to do it again and hope for the best.
I found all I needed to know about the problem from Google, and YouTube provided the directions I needed.
Do a search for your exact model and see if it applies.

Best of luck.........Tom
Computer Specs
Member with 18 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 10:14 AM #4
I have the HP Pavillion DV6700 also but nor sure on the graphics chip. I just need something for the wife to use her email, do a little surfing, print a page or two and watch an occasional dvd. Guess it's back to the store. Any preferences on good, bad or ugly machines to get and or avoid?
thanks
SUEOHIO   (SUE) SUEOHIO is offline SUEOHIO has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,684 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2012, 11:14 AM #5
Personally i use dell, ibm/lenovo laptops and over all they are well made and have been trouble free in most cases whether ive bought them new or used.The only laptop i bought used and wished i hadnt was a toshiba satellite.It had nothing but problems and i was glad to be rid of it.Ive bought used gateways and compaqs and they worked just fine.There are no perfect computers out there and sometimes you get one thats a lemon but you hope it gets fixed properly under a warranty and go from there.I bought one dell brand new that didnt last very long either and had the dell name on it but was made in fact by clevo and when i bought it it had xp drivers available. When i had a problem with the wireless driver all the xp drivers just disappeared for no reason.I guess dell just wanted to forget that model ever existed.
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 05:50 PM #6
Sorry if I'm in the wrong thread,but my husband's compaq presario laptop won't switch on. Manual said to check battery/ac adapter, to see which icon shows.But how can he check if the laptop doesn't come on?There's power from the main supply, and he changed plug fuse.It's not working by battery, so how can he tell if the battery is dead?
If anyone can help,I will be grateful; i don/t know how to start a new thread on this problem.
Floramay
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!