Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hardware problem, I think

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

Experience: Beginner
18-Aug-2012, 11:41 AM #1
Hardware problem, I think
Hi everyone.
I have a custom computer that is shutting down after about 5 mins of up time, wether idle or running a program (any program). I'm suspecting a hardware problem like bad memory but figured I'd contact those better qualified to answer my questions with knowledge.

Just tell me what you need to know please, and I'll do my best to help you (help me).
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 11:43 AM #2
Welcome to the forums.
Boot into safemode and see if it still shuts down. If it does it is probably a hardware problem if not it is a software or driver problem.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,225 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 12:18 PM #3
Does it shut off completely or reboot or does the screen just go blank but it still has power?
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 02:08 PM #4
Black-Wolf= It does not shut down, it freezes and is unresponsive, and does so in safe mode as well as normal.

Triple6= It just freezes for a while, then goes to the faded non-responsive screen(when in firefox, others it just freezes with the 'thinking circle' arrow icon)
Computer Specs

18-Aug-2012, 02:20 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugiosha View Post

Triple6= It just freezes for a while, then goes to the faded non-responsive screen(when in firefox, others it just freezes with the 'thinking circle' arrow icon)
So your initial description of it shutting down is completely incorrect? It just hangs? Or freezes? Never actually shuts down? The new description can have completely different causes, could be anything from bad hardware to a malware infection.

Download the free HW Monitor and post a screen shot of it showing the readings: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Download and burn UBCD to a CD: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/faq.html
Run Memtest86+ from it and let it run a few hours to test the memory thoroughly.
Then find out what brand your hard drive is, you can do so from Device Manager by looking under the Disk drive section and run that manufacturer's hard drive diagnostics from the UBCD as well.

Edit:

When did the problem start?
What BIOS version are your running on your motherboard? CPU Wizard should tell you that info: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html You might need to open the case anyway and check the revision of the motherboard, only version 3.1 support's the FX processors, 1.3 does not. You must also have BIOS version FB or higher, preferable BIOS version FC.
What is the make and model of you power supply? You'll need to open the side of the case and read the label on the power supply for this.

Last edited by Triple6; 18-Aug-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 07:58 PM #6
Ok, other life had a few priorities so i am back now and ready to work on this. I have UBCD set up and it will work. I cannot even get windows loaded anymore in any mode (normal, safe, safe with or command prompt).
I am attempting to figure out how to get the other programs on the comp. to be able to take and send the screen shots you want.
My power supply is an Earthwatts 750 (model rev00F)
Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2

The problems just started friday (Aug. 17). The computer does just hang, not error, restart nor dump.
Computer Specs

19-Aug-2012, 08:04 PM #7
Which version of the Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 do you have? There's a version 1.3 and a 3.1, this is marked on the motherboard sometimes by the model number and other times in one of the corners of the motherboard, generally printed in white right on the motherboard. The BIOS version will be displayed when you power on the computer.

You should be able to see the temperatures in the BIOS setup, press DEL to enter the setup on power up.

Have you run Memtest86+ from the UBCD? You should test the RAM.

Also look at the hard drive, it'll have a label with the manufacturer on it. UBCD will have a hard drive diagnostics on it for each manufacturer, run the full test on the hard drive as well.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:00 PM #8
motherboard is version 3.1
Tempratures listed in BIOS are system 36 C CPU 26 C

Currently running memtest86+,
will post results of that and hd diagnostic in the Morning.

BTW thanks alot for your help, I appreciate it.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 10:16 PM #9
Update, 36% into memtest86+ and at least 8 failing addresses.

Should that be assumed as a 'need new RAM at least result'? (sorry, fairly new to working with computer hardware, I know just enought to get myself into trouble).
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 11:57 PM #10
ok....final results on memtest86+ 115 errors
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2012, 08:23 AM #11
Try testing each of the RAM sticks separately, you may have one bad stick if only one fails or a compatibility issue if you get a failure with each stick. Also, as soon as you get one failure you can stop the test at that point.

Also, verify that the memory is set up correctly in the BIOS< some memory needs higher voltages. Post the exact memory you have, there will be a label on the memory itself.
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 09:33 AM #12
ok, back again. One stick bad, one good.

The memory I have is PNY 64COMHHHJ - HS 1143 P202015
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:45 AM #13
Also of note (though I should have mentioned it earlier, possibly) is my hard drive is a sandisk ultra SSD.
Computer Specs

20-Aug-2012, 12:30 PM #14
Ok, so there may be no diagnostics for the SSD. There is a toolkit from SanDisk for it that you may want to run and check the health and you may want to upgrade the firmware on the drive as well: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9328/

Can't find the RAM, but if the other stick works and is the same then theoretically this one should too; it's probably just faulty. is the computer booting and working correctly now or still problems?
Computer Specs
Member with 13 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 01:02 PM #15
Still problems, unfortunately.

in safe mode with networking it hangs on windows\system32\drivers\classpnp.sys
I tried normal startup and it went to windows entry screen then changed to a black screen and hung.

How do I use software from my usb on the computer while I am in UBCD?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!