Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Extreme Video Lag issues

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-Aug-2012, 04:33 PM #1
Extreme Video Lag issues
So I've been fumbling around this issue trying to just ignore it for some time now, but for some reason I just can't figure it out now. I have gradually been getting worse and worse video lag issues in games and it gets really annoying in faster paced games like Left 4 Dead 2 and other FPS games. I have come to find even this simple game "slender" to be completely unplayable as I get MAYBE 1-2 fps. And I can't figure out what is wrong, it didn't used to be like this, back when I first got this computer up and running it rand most games at 60fps. Left 4 dead, counter-strike, modern warfare 2. I have a little windows widgit thing that tells me the current state of my video card, and recently it's been telling me that it's almost ALWAYS clocked back to 300mhz, when it should be running at 900mhz when under load. It almost never goes up to 900, and when it does, it dials back to 300 or 775 in like 2 seconds. I don't know what to do, any help would be appreciated.

ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (100314-3L )

AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

ZALMAN Z9 Plus Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

DIAMOND XtremeSound XS51 5.1 Channels 16-bit 48KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - OEM
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Aug-2012, 07:10 PM #2
Try using the onboard sound and see if you are still getting the lag.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:10 PM #3
Well, I just tried that (after apparently installing drivers for my onboard sound, which I thought I'd already done) and now that I've restarted, it no longer detects my onboard....
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:19 PM #4
You may have to change a setting in the bios, some boards require that and some don't.
Also look in device manager and see if there are any yellow triangles.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:21 PM #5
Been running around in device manager trying to get it to read the onboard sound adapter again, no luck, nothing with the waring sign either, it just doesn't think it exists anymore. All I did was reboot, would it really completely lose track of the device that's a part of the motherboard (after JUST installing the drivers for it) because of a reboot?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:26 PM #6
It shouldn't, take out the 6870 and boot. (did you check in the biod to see if it was disabled?)
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:32 PM #7
Cant take out the 6870, it's my only means of video. Restarted and went into bios though, the sound was on auto, switched it to enabled and it's working now, just need to test run, see if anything changes.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:35 PM #8
Well crud, time for work, I'll have to deal with this tomorrow...
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

18-Aug-2012, 08:38 PM #9
You may have found the problem. Let us know.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 10:45 AM #10
Well I'm not sure what caused it, but I got really fed up with it not working, so I just reformatted my computer after installing a 1TB HDD. That seems to have done the trick as I can play all my games at normal settings now with no lag whatsoever. Sorry I couldn't troubleshoot it down to figure out the source for anyone else who may have this problem, but if you have backups of everything, and don't have a problem with it, reformatting is always an option, if only as a last ditch effort.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 11:09 AM #11
Glad you got it worked out, sometimes a clean install is the easiest. Best to you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
fps lag, gpu, graphics, lag

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!