Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Should I buy an SSD?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Aug-2012, 08:36 PM #1
Should I buy an SSD?
Kingston 256GB V200 SSD - I can get for 100

I was just about to buy... but I did some research
This model seems to be slower

Can someone tell me what the speed of a standard 2.5" hard drive is?
I googled but couldn't find

And is there a side by side comparison for SSD vs standard 2.5" ide drives?

Thanks

OM
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is online now TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,714 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:06 PM #2
There is no standard speed for 2.5" IDE drives.

Are you sure your harddrive has an IDE connection? That is a fairly old connection type for harddrives.

-----------------------------------------------------

Why do you want an SSD? What do you plan on using it for?
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:08 PM #3
ooops...
no... it's a sata hard drive - it has a sata connection
i've no idea why i said that!
so... my question is the same (except replace ide with sata)

thansk
TheShooter93   (Cody) TheShooter93 is online now TheShooter93 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 9,714 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:13 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShooter93 View Post
Why do you want an SSD? What do you plan on using it for?
I would only buy one if I did intensive gaming or a lot of video editing.

The prices are still too high for my personal preference in comparison to the benefit and storage space they give you.
Account Disabled with 49 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:17 PM #5
IMHO ssds still have a little way to go yet in terms of reliability, There is no such comparison be it ide or sata as magnetic storage and flash based storage are completely different, if you can be a little more specific in what you were wondering about this may help to help you further. If I was buying a ssd drive I would check out www.ssdreview.com
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:20 PM #6
ok... i have 2 situations

1. every month, i have a laptop for which i restore an old safe image
this means i stay clean of any viruses
(i got sick and tired of being super ultra careful and then still find out ive been infected 2 years later when my machine is grinding to a halt)
BUT: there are 3 or 4 programs i have to reinstall from scratch - these takes 2 hours currently in total

2. i have an old mabook - i've got 2gb of ram
i have got Lion OSX - but want to upgrade the latest version mountain lion
it says on the details of the latest lion osx that my machine won't be compatible (the current Lion version is compatible)
i was wondering if an SSD might solve my problem?

thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 9,714 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:25 PM #7
Quote:
1. every month, i have a laptop for which i restore an old safe image
I would backup all personal data that you want to keep, then perform a System Recovery (putting the computer back to factory conditions).

There is no need for you to go back to an image of your harddrive every month to stay clear of malware.

Just install and update your antivrus protection, and have some good judgement about the sites you go on.

----------------------------------------------------------

As for the macbook, you wouldn't be able to install an SSD even if you purchased one.

But even if you could, if the latest version isn't compatible, it's likely due to other hardware in your computer and not the harddrive.
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:32 PM #8
Quote:
I would backup all personal data that you want to keep, then perform a System Recovery (putting the computer back to factory conditions).

There is no need for you to go back to an image of your harddrive every month to stay clear of malware.

Just install and update your antivrus protection, and have some good judgement about the sites you go on.
my laptop is my life. no one is allowed to touch, its too precious. i don't go to seedy websites or download dodgy stuff. all software is legit. i don't visit seedy websites. i am super super careful and diligent about running any programs. i have a full paid for version of an anitvirus program

my past experience: 2 years down the road, the laptop will be coming to a grinding halt. + sooner or later it will dawn on me that i have spamware or viruses.

solution: be super cautious. ground hog day: start life again every month

laptop is like new - same fast speed
pain in the ****:

- waiting for microsoft updates to install
- certain programs i just know like to hog my system only get installed when i need them - problem is that these take 1 hour+ to install!

Quote:
As for the macbook, you wouldn't be able to install an SSD even if you purchased one.

But even if you could, if the latest version isn't compatible, it's likely due to other hardware in your computer and not the harddrive.
don't understand. i just assumed it would be a normal hard drive with sata connections
if so... why can't i install on a mac??

thanks in advance!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,714 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:39 PM #9
The laptop could be just like new after a System Recovery, but if you want to stick with what you're doing, that's fine.

I'm just saying the option is there if you want help with it all.

------------------------------------------------------------

As for the SSD in the Macbook, most laptops are exceedingly difficult to replace the harddrive in.

Especially with Macs. Both in the software end (drivers specific to different hardware Apple chooses to put in their machines), and with physically replacing the hardware.
Account Disabled with 49 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:42 PM #10
Please take this as a help and not an insult.
If you arent prepared to consider linux have you ever considered using ssh tunneling for the internet and using open DNS or google DNS? Try as you might there are quiet a few ways to get malware and a virus. While what your doing is commendable it doesnt guarantee your 100% safe nor does adding more security implementations but it does add a few more layers of protection to get through. Whatever you install on your pc by the way decreases its security.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,178 posts.

19-Aug-2012, 09:54 PM #11
I would make a new image after you install the programs and all the Windows updates. Then when you restore from it you will only need to add updates that were released after you made it.

An SSD won't stop your computer from getting slow unless the only reason for it is hard drive access. I doubt that's the case.
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 07:06 AM #12
Quote:
The laptop could be just like new after a System Recovery, but if you want to stick with what you're doing, that's fine.

I'm just saying the option is there if you want help with it all.
system recovery is worse actually - i go back to the very beginning of time
what i do is every 3 months or so, i will reinstall the image, make a new image (without installing anything else)
and then use this image to restore every month

Quote:
As for the SSD in the Macbook, most laptops are exceedingly difficult to replace the harddrive in.

Especially with Macs. Both in the software end (drivers specific to different hardware Apple chooses to put in their machines), and with physically replacing the hardware.
doesn't make sense to me. if i have the install discs, then i surely can just install from scratch??? what has the drivers got to do with it?
or... i can just create an image and just restore that to the new hard drive?
am i missing something?
only asking as i don't know - so would appreciate an answer...... as you might be saving me wasting loooads of time!
thanks
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 07:08 AM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootle View Post
Please take this as a help and not an insult.
If you arent prepared to consider linux have you ever considered using ssh tunneling for the internet and using open DNS or google DNS? Try as you might there are quiet a few ways to get malware and a virus. While what your doing is commendable it doesnt guarantee your 100% safe nor does adding more security implementations but it does add a few more layers of protection to get through. Whatever you install on your pc by the way decreases its security.
prepared to consider linux
2 problems: microsoft office and photoshop and dreamweaver
i don't think there are any programs that are on the same usability and gui level as these products
let me know what u think
+ can u tell me what linux system i should try...? ubuntu is the only one that comes to mind
i've got a spare hard drive that i'd like to mess around with
thanks

Quote:
If you arent prepared to consider linux have you ever considered using ssh tunneling for the internet and using open DNS or google DNS?
don't understand
what's all that about?

Quote:
Try as you might there are quiet a few ways to get malware and a virus. While what your doing is commendable it doesnt guarantee your 100% safe nor does adding more security implementations but it does add a few more layers of protection to get through. Whatever you install on your pc by the way decreases its security.
exactly
every month, my laptop is reborn - so any bad things that may have been installed are not there anymore
every month i go back to a super fats machine
Computer Specs
Member with 622 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 07:12 AM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by managed View Post
I would make a new image after you install the programs and all the Windows updates. Then when you restore from it you will only need to add updates that were released after you made it.
that's what i do

Quote:
Originally Posted by managed View Post
An SSD won't stop your computer from getting slow unless the only reason for it is hard drive access. I doubt that's the case.
i don't want an ssd to stop becoming slow
i want it so that it becomes super fast!!
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,058 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 08:55 AM #15
FWIW a ssd drive is the single biggest boost to performance you can do to a system. I have 2 crucial sata3 drives in raid0 and get around 1000mps speed.
One thing you need to understand is that ssd drives are NOT mech drives and need some different settings. You will need to clean install windows 7 rather than restore any image you may have. This is because a ssd drive needs a different partition offset than a mech hd. Win7 setup will detect that you are using a ssd and apply the correct offset during the install. TRIM will be implemented during the clean install as well as defrag being disabled. There are a few other minor changes that you can do however those are the major ones.

It is possible to restore an image and have it work correctly however it is a more involved process and you need the latest version of acronis true image to accomplish this task.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!