Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

No Signal

(!)

Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
20-Aug-2012, 09:07 AM #1
No Signal
Hey, so basically I have an issue where my monitor displays 'no signal' on start-up. I also recieved MOBO error beeps (constant every 10 seconds or so). I took my PC to a repair shop, and apparently they were having issues with the mobo, so I ended up replacing it and getting a new processor and ram in the process. I've used my mother's 22" screen on my new PC, and it works pretty flawlessly. Whenever I plug my old screen in, it still gives me the same 'no signal error'. The only way I can get it to work is to start up with my mother's screen then plug in my old screen (19")...it seems to reset something. Also, whenever I started games / video driver installation with the old screen, the same no signal appeared. Same with resorting to the 1440x900 resolution that I've had it at for 3 years - I got the no signal message. I tried the old screen on my mother's PC, and on start-up I get 'out of range'. I have to start-up with her screen and switch over. It seems to work, but the colour is odd and again if I change the resolution to 1440x900 I get 'no signal'. Anyone have any idea? Should I just replace this screen, or is it a fault with my power supply/graphics card?
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2012, 09:18 AM #2
You need a new monitor, but have you tried your monitor on your mother's computer?
Member with 3 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 09:52 AM #3
Yep, as I said. It starts up with 'out of range' - I have to plug her screen in first, then my old screen to get any display. It doesn't start up with no signal and it doesn't seem to display 'no signal' other than when I try to change the resolution to 1440x900. Sadly I don't have any games on her computer to test. It's really quite confusing...I'm pretty sure my pc is fine (works with my mother's screen)...
Computer Specs
Member with 3,169 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 10:25 AM #4
Definately sounds like your old screen is on its last legs. With the prices of monitors now I would replace it, it may well cost you the same, or possibly more, to repair the existing one anyway.

The simple test, which you have already done, is to try the monitor on another machine and try a known working monitor on your machine. Both those tests indicate that your monitor is faulty.

Just to check, when you try your mums monitor on your PC do you use her cable or yours? If you use her monitor with your cable then its almost definately your monitor at fault.
Member with 3 posts.

20-Aug-2012, 12:50 PM #5
My cables, I've been sure to check that. The cables all seem fine. I've had this monitor for nearly 4 years and it has served me well, so I guess it's time for a new one anyways - I purchased a HKC LED 24" monitor and it seems to work very nicely.

Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated!
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Aug-2012, 01:13 PM #6
You're welcome.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!