Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: my second ssd will not show up in bios or windows

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Aug-2012, 10:54 AM #1
Solved: my second ssd will not show up in bios or windows
my system is a custom:
amd fx 8150
gskill 16gb
amd radeon hd7770 1gb x2
Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 -- AMD 970
120 GB ADATA S510 SSD
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010

i have another ssd that i got off my old system (OCZ vertex 2 2.5 55gb sata2), i know that having two ssd is not dollar for dollar efficient but i had an extra and got the 120 for mad cheap. the new ssd has my old operating system and all that **** on there but the new one is all loaded up too, i hooked up the second ssd, and it does not show in bios or windows but it did take an awfully long time to load up my windows, like easily 5 times more or...more(not pleased with my warding). how do i get it to show up and all that? just to clarify all i have done is hook it straight up, and this is my first time doing such, it may require aditional preparation of some sort, please any help.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,324 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 01:01 PM #2
Hi T3tq, and welcome to TSG.

Have you checked the BIOS settings to see if you need to specifically enable the SATA port being used for the second drive?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

21-Aug-2012, 03:05 PM #3
no i have not tried that, i dont have the manual for my MB, and i dont recall seeing an option like that, can you throw me a quick path to get there maybe?
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is online now cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,324 posts.

22-Aug-2012, 12:39 AM #4
I found manuals for two different versions of MB here:
http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...id=3908#manual

Neither one shows any individual settings for enabling or disabling specific SATA ports, There is a an Integrated Peripherals BIOS setting to enable or disable all the ports at one time.

Not sure what your problem may be. Do you know the SSD was working correctly when it was removed from the old computer?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

22-Aug-2012, 04:23 AM #5
Thanks, i had found the periph bios you mentioned, it did not seem like the right area to me, so i left it. I have not used the computer that the ssd came from in almost 8 months, but it was definitely working then. when i plug the ssd into the power supply it does have a green indicator light. so its presumably operational, not sure ofcourse.
Computer Specs
Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Aug-2012, 01:19 PM #6
The disable SATA port was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. I would also recommend that you check to see if you have two different speed SATA ports, i.e. 2@SATA2 and 2@SATA3. Make sure your SSD is connected to the fastest SATA port available to avoid bottlenecking.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 42,354 posts.

22-Aug-2012, 01:25 PM #7
You may want to update the BIOS, the BIOS has an update that improves SSD compatibility. See here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...?pid=4306#bios Just make sure it's the right motherboard revision, 1.0 or 1.4 and you can choose that at the top.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 11:50 AM #8
Oh I have good news. I tried updating the bios and now I can't boot in anything but safe mode and none of the system restore options or programs are working... the only one I have not attempted is the command prompt option. Because I don't really know what command to run for this.
Computer Specs

23-Aug-2012, 12:27 PM #9
Did you use the BIOS for the correct motherboard revision? Try resetting the CMOS via the jumper on the mpotherboard, location should be marked in the manual. Then verify that the SATA mode is set to the same one as before, AHCI, RAID, or IDE.

Any luck with getting the other SSD detected?
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 12:52 PM #10
During This. Last issue I decided to try ti boot off the other ssd to see if it worked at all. I swapped the old ssd that wasn't. Showing into primary slot.and removed the new one completely and determined that the original Issue with the ssd not showing is probably because its donefor. So on to getting my comp back running with new ssd lol. My phone us the only thing now that works. I will try reloading the cmos.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 01:39 PM #11
Cmos reset did the trick thanks a whole lot. I'm not worried about the old ssd working anymore.
Computer Specs
Member with 8 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 01:41 PM #12
I will mark as solved in a day just to make sure
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 04:02 PM #13
FWIW those vertex2 drives were very problem prone and would fail without any warning. I have had 2 of them fail and one minute they were working just fine and the next pw ON not detected.
Computer Specs

23-Aug-2012, 06:16 PM #14
My Vertex drives need a motherboard BIOS update that included a firmware for the RAID controller and to be updated to the latest firmware before they worked correctly; luckily my drives had a jumper and a destructive flash that would revive the drives when they died.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,665 posts.

23-Aug-2012, 08:07 PM #15
You can sometimes "revive" a failed vertex drive by hot plugging the drive after post. This may allow you to update the drive's firmware. Do be aware that plugging in pw connectors while the system is pw ON does entail some degree of risk.

I have done this a few times with ssd drives and never had a problem however just be aware of the potential.

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
boot device, ocz, ssd problem

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!