Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop VGA to TV no longer working

(!)

Member with 163 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Aug-2012, 07:27 PM #1
Laptop VGA to TV no longer working
Hi,

I've trying to troubleshoot this issue. I've been connecting Lenovo G550 laptop to TV, but it has suddenly stopped working.
Laptop Specs:
To my knowledge, I have intel 4 graphics chipset. I'm writing from different laptop, but I'll edit this once I'm sure about graphic card model.
http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/...0Datasheet.pdf

Laptop identifies TV, but it says "no signal." I'm using VGA to VGA connection to connect.
I've connected other laptop using same vga cable and it works as usual. I reckon something's up with the hardware or software.
I have attempted to connect to TV using latest ubuntu. I have also re-installed drivers from support site, but it is still not working.

Thanks for any help..
Member with 3,799 posts.

Experience: Advanced
02-Sep-2012, 02:50 AM #2
If it doesn't work in uBuntu or Windows, then I would suspect a hardware fault and not an OS or driver issue. By hardware fault, I'd suspect a faulty VGA port or the video chipset portion feeding that port.

Test another monitor on that port.
Member with 163 posts.

02-Sep-2012, 08:03 PM #3
I've tried plugging another monitor on the same vga port, it didn't work either.
Member with 3,799 posts.

02-Sep-2012, 09:45 PM #4
Then as the TV or another monitor are not working on the VGA port, that port is faulty.
Member with 163 posts.

02-Sep-2012, 10:46 PM #5
Is there any way to fix this? I can take apart laptop and solder/unsolder the port. I'm not sure how laptop motherboards work. Is the VGA port faulty or graphic card (for external display)? Btw, laptop identifies TV but, it says "no signal" on TV.
Thanks for the help.
Member with 3,799 posts.

03-Sep-2012, 04:33 PM #6
I would suspect the video chipset portion that feeds the VGA port, not the actual VGA port. But it's possible there is simply a loose connection.
Member with 163 posts.

08-Sep-2012, 11:53 AM #7
How may I be able to fix this? If it would be possible?
I was researching earlier. I think the (chipset?) maybe blown due to (short circuit?).
I had unplugged the cabled without turning off the the TV or changing the display setting in the laptop.
Member with 3,799 posts.

09-Sep-2012, 01:48 AM #8
If it's the chipset, you will need to replace the motherboard. Unless it's under warranty, it's likely more cost effective to simply replace it (and enjoy the upgrade). And laptop repair is a bit more involved than working on a desktop PC.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
vga to tv

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!