Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

recovering a SATA HD - first time

(!)

Member with 517 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 03:04 PM #1
recovering a SATA HD - first time
I have a SATA 2TB HD that became corrupted.

I downloaded MiniTool Power Data Recovery tool.

I ran a lost partition deep recovery scan.

The tool returned a total of 124 different partitions with various recovered files inside different folders.

Now, I've got 124 different folders of scrambled eggs....

Not sure, if i ran the right scan from the start or how to even begin the process of reassembling the recovered data in any meaningful and organized fashion. I'm totally overwhelmed.

I have precious family photos on this disc I need to recover.

Can anyone help?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 30,161 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 03:52 PM #2
I have never used that recovery app; I use O&O disk recovery. It is not free however it does an excellent job.

The very first thing I do when attempting to recover data is to make an image of the drive [if possible] using acronis true image. Mount that image and do all recovery work on the image. This way you are not causing any further damage to the actual disk/files.

If that does not work, then I would use a different recovery app.

Quote:
I have precious family photos on this disc I need to recover.
Just one of the reasons why we stress backups SO much. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about. All drives fail; it is only a question of when your drive will fail.
Member with 517 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 04:19 PM #3
I have CDBurnerXP...I believe it can do ISO images...would that work?
Member with 517 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 05:03 PM #4
well...I tried using CDBurnerXp but it doesn't recognize the drive...so can't use it...
Member with 517 posts.

31-Aug-2012, 05:05 PM #5
dude...just looked up Acronis true image on CNET and the reviews suck - http://download.cnet.com/True-Image-...-10168093.html
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 05:17 PM #6
Acronis true image is by far the best imaging app ever made. It is like Snap-On tools; the standard by which others are judged. Believe whatever you want however IF you want to make a successful image, you use acronis.
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 05:18 PM #7
You do not have to make an image first. I was just telling you how I do data recovery.
Computer Specs

31-Aug-2012, 06:06 PM #8
BTW those reviews are for the 2013 version which may or may not have problems. I use acronis 2012 and have never had any issue whatsoever.
Member with 517 posts.

04-Sep-2012, 07:06 PM #9
OK I got Acronis True Image Home and ran a backup image. It ran for 2 days then today I got error:

Failed to rea data from disk.

Failed to read sector 63 of hard disk 1
Linux device node with internal number 3 not found - 0x1000FF

should we run a check disk to repair disk first? will that wipe out my data? Or will it just repair the disk and leave data alone?

please advise
Member with 517 posts.

04-Sep-2012, 10:42 PM #10
bump?
Computer Specs

05-Sep-2012, 09:41 AM #11
chkdsk often results in lost data. At this point, I would consult a data recovery service [if the data is that important to you] This is NOT cheap; basic prices start @ $125 or so plus the media on which to place your recovered files and goes WAY up from there. Get an estimate before having any work done on the drive[s] since it may end up in the $500 and up range.
Member with 517 posts.

05-Sep-2012, 10:07 AM #12
the error message was very specific. There is no software that can go in and just make the repair and leave the rest of the data alone?
Computer Specs

05-Sep-2012, 11:05 AM #13
Up to you if you want to try other software however with a damaged disk, I would not hold out much hope.
Quote:
OK I got Acronis True Image Home and ran a backup image. It ran for 2 days then today I got error:
Acronis should take 5~10min to make an image depending on how much is on the disk. Taking hours or days indicates a damaged disk. If you have a LOT of info on the disk, it might take 15~20min however not hours.
Member with 517 posts.

10-Sep-2012, 01:12 PM #14
Ok, now that I'm using Mini Tool Power Data recover software it's able to do a damaged disk recover and it returns over 164 different partitions. I can copy the files from each partition over OK. The question I have is I'm wondering about the duplication of files and what is the best method for organizing such a large task of copying over 2TB worth of recovered files?

Since my primary goal is to recover my photos, I'm wondering if the photos which are .jpg files will retain their original "Date taken" info so that i can eventually put them back in an organized folder structure.
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2012, 10:32 PM #15
You can recover deleted pictures from memory card by using photo recovery software.
When i am facing same problem i have used photo recovery software and i get back all deleted
photos. It recovers all photos within few minutes. Now you can download demo version
of this software.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!