Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Blue Screen of Death/Restart While Scanning w/ Avast

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 53 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2012, 05:14 PM #1
Blue Screen of Death/Restart While Scanning w/ Avast
Hi,

I have a hewlett-packard HP G60 Notebook PC. Processor: AMD Sempron SI-40 2.00 GHz, Ram: 3.00 GB, with a 32-bit Operating System. I also have Windows Vista on my machine. The problem I'm having is that when I run a quick scan with Avast, I get the BSOD and the system restarts. I did some quick research thinking it may be the new version of Avast since a lot of people are having issues with that but I went into safe mode and did the scan and it completed. I also have malwarebytes on the machine and thought maybe it was conflicting with Avast, but it has never give me any problems in the past. I ran a quick scan with Malwarebytes and it completed but I tried to do a complete scan with it and it did the same thing (BSOD w/restart), so now I'm at the conclusion that the machine is overheating (it does get pretty hot) and is shutting itself down. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Member with 4,031 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Sep-2012, 06:59 PM #2
What is the STOP or ERROR code on the BSOD? That will indicate the cause of the problem.

As it boots into Safe Mode, I'd expect the error is "IRQ is not less or equal to..." ...which typically indicates a corrupt driver.
Computer Specs
Member with 53 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2012, 08:15 PM #3
It BSOD happens to quick for me to catch the error code. Where do i look in safe mode to see that? Do I need to go to an event log. Also, I just got a message earlier about the internal battery being really low and probably needing to be replaced. Would that be a factor with this issue as well? Thanks
Member with 4,031 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2012, 08:53 PM #4
It's possible, yes. There is a battery on the motherboard.

To see the BSOD, disable auto restarts: http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable...n_messages.htm
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!