Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Building Custom Computer- Need advice/feedback.

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
19-Sep-2012, 09:43 PM #1
Building Custom Computer- Need advice/feedback.
Hi, Thematrican here again posting another one that I found that might be good (Kinda a newb)
But here are the specs.OverClock

Ultimate OverClocked Gaming $1549.00
$1549.00

Case: - Lancool Dragon Lord "Dark Ice" PC-K62 Black Chassis Clear Window - -
LCD Monitor: - No Monitor - -
Power Supply: - OCZ/Corsair/Silverstone 1200w True SLI Power Supply $129.00 $129.00
Motherboard: - ASRock(Asus) Z77-EXTREME6 4 x DDR3,4 x SATA3, 6 x USB3.0,Firewire, GBLAN / RAID / ATX $29.00 $29.00
Processor (CPU): - Ivy Bridge Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz OVERCLOCKED to 4.4Ghz $149.00 $149.00
CPU Cooling: - Corsair H80 Water Cooling CPU Cooler - -
Graphics Card: - NEW! nVIDIA GTX 690 DUAL GPU Graphics Card 4GB PCI-E 3.0 with Upgrade to 1000W PSU $1749.00 $1749.00
Sound Card: - Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional PCIE Sound Card $199.00 $199.00
DVD/CD Burner: - 2 x LG BluRay - 1x LG BluRay BURNER & 1x LG BluRay ROM Combo $179.00 $179.00
Hard Disk Drive: - 240 Gig OCZ AGILITY 3 SATA III SSD $169.00 $169.00
2nd Hard Drive: - 3 Terrabyte Seagate SATA3 HDD $209.00 $209.00
RAM (memory): - 32 Gigabytes 1600Mhz DDR3 G.Skill (Win7 PRO64 or ULT64 only) $309.00 $309.00
Keyboard & Mouse: - No Keyboard & Mouse - -
Wireless LAN Card: - No Wireless LAN - -
Digital TV Card: - No TV Card - -
Operating System: - WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64 Bit with Genuine Disc & Fully Installed $219.00 $219.00
Office Suite: - No Thanks - -
Software: - No Thanks, Install Windows 7 only (if purchased) - -
WARRANTY: - 36 Mths On-Site Warranty - High Priority LOCAL Response $119.00 $119.00

These are from a shop in my area called GR-TEK in Australia, Sydney. Please help a fellow computer gaming guy out.

P.S. I don't know and I do know some of the parts. Which is why I'm asking the community to rate. (And yes I have saved up 6000$ and plan to buy it if it's any good.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,241 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-Sep-2012, 04:02 AM #2
You dont say what your main purpose is, I will assume gaming and rate as such. If its for other uses (video editing, etc) let us know and can give a better response.

Caae I dont know, largely personal preference. Provided it has good air flow and enough bays for what you want, see no probs.
Mobo- lot of money for something you may not use. If you are set on overclocking, fine; if not -and to be honest, reducing the spec could go to other components at least as good as an OC would give- downgrade it.
Graphics card- would love a 690, but its overpriced. For a slight drop in performance there are a lot of cards that would would do fine (my 7970, and 6970 in my spare rig) are good on just about everything I play.
DVD= 2 bluray, again overkill. If you want a 2nd drive, a DVD is cheaper and easier.
HD- big yes to SSD (hav 3 in my current rig), 3 TB drive not sure on. A couple of 2Tb would be my choice, price would work out better per meg and more storage.
RAM- definite overkill. With 16Gb I can game, video edit, use Autocad on large drawings and multi task to my hearts content. 32 is not going to provide any real advantage bar bragging rights and the cost is huge. There are tech issues as well that may come into it, but we can ignore those right now.
Please take these as a personal choice, but 6k is a lot of money, and theres a lot of stuff you can get with a saving
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 06:37 AM #3
Unless you are and "Extreme Overclocker" get rid of the water cooling. They are a royal pain and require maintenance.
I agree with Gulo Leseus' comments. (Dual GPU's are also a pain)
I'm not much on ASRock, Asus and Gigabyte are tried and true.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,394 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 06:39 AM #4
Do you need Windows 7 ultimate? Its a lot of money when Home Premium is perfectly good and usually around $150+ cheaper.

I would tend to agree with Gulo on the RAM, 32Gb is probably much more than you would ever need.

690's are very expensive, a 680 is half the price and will likely run anything on pretty much high/max settings game wise. Yes you can afford a GTX690 if you really want one, but personally I don't spend money if I don't have to

Do you need a standalone soundcard? For normal use and gaming etc onboard sound is perfectly good now, I would suggest you only really need a standalone card if you are doing intensive audio editing or need really high quality recording etc (which most people don't for gaming).

$6000! I could buy about 3 to 4 high end gaming rigs for that
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 06:42 AM #5
It appears that you are not building this yourself and are shopping preconfigured rigs???
Computer Specs
Member with 659 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2012, 09:48 AM #6
thermatrican.
you posted 6000.00
majority of us on page think in USA Dollars.
use to be a Canadian Dollar was 75 cents to the American Dollar.
can you give us a idea on how Australian Dollars compare????
is it closer to the British pound???
last time I was in Nuevo Laredo Mexico 3000 Peso's were around 15.00$ American Dollars
love the British "Wheeler Dealer" show. I guess 2 US dollars make a pound

we are saying that 1500.00$ American would buy a very nice gaming rig here in the US..---
parts from Newegg / put together yourself.

buying from a Australian web site // local shipping // more than 2000 American comparable
dollars would be for a special project.

back in the days before Dell bought out the AlieanWare Computer company you could get a very high end
Pc for 5,000$ American.
for 10,000$ American you could buy the Starship Enterprise of computers from AlienWare
I figure since Dell took over that AlienWare is just a name now.
is Ford any good on making Land Rovers these days????
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 09:51 AM #7
I was disappointed when Dell bought the Alienware name and put the name on a Dell computer, why bother.
That leaves Falcon Northwest.
Computer Specs
Member with 659 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Sep-2012, 09:54 AM #8
never heard of Falcon Northwest.
never could afford one but all my friends thought AlienWare was the bomb
like having a Ferrari in the drive way like Magnum PI
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 09:57 AM #9
If alienware was a Ferrari then Falcon was a Bugatti. Check out their website.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,820 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 11:54 AM #10
Just an FYI $1549 is $1611 American.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,034 posts.

20-Sep-2012, 11:40 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx121 View Post

love the British "Wheeler Dealer" show.
love that show too! (i'm a brit' tho) the low tech average joe car repair .....plus those two blokes : )
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!