Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

5 beeps at startup in dell inspiron n 5110

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Oct-2012, 01:03 PM #1
5 beeps at startup in dell inspiron n 5110
5 BEEPS AT STARTUP IN DELL INSPIRON N 5110

Hello,

I am using a DELL INSPIRON N5110 , 2nd gen Intel core i5 ,4GB RAM,1GB NVIDIA GT525M graphics card,640GB HDD and Windows 7 Home premium.My laptop was functioning properly for 1 year but I had a serious misfortune last Saturday. My laptop fell down to the tiles floor from my cot ( approx 45cm depth) . After repositioning I tried to boot the laptop which had gone off. It booted with 5 continuous beeps, the sound of which decreases in intensity when the welcome screen appears. But the sound still persists. You know how much annoying is it to have! I did a thorough system checkup and diagnostics which turned out to be normal.All components worked properly, I played FIFA 12 , watched some movies and accessed the internet. The only problem I find is that the caps lock indicator is not working now. I tried to contact the DELL helpline that day itself but I couldnít reach them as the call got disconnected all the time. When finally I got the line, I told them my problem and they finally told me Iíll have to get my motherboard replaced which will cost INR11,000 . very sadly, my laptop warranty had just expired two days prior to the accident. When I went through various forums and communities, I got an idea to do a battery flea and after that the beep disappeared. Unfortunately the beep came back after sometime, still 5 in number !! I also got an info that there could be some issues with the CMOS battery which can be replaced. I am totally desparate , because after spending a lot of money on the laptop now Iíll have to spend more bucks on it . I need all your help regarding this issue and want your advice in doing that is necessary. I have these set of doubts

1. Will the CMOS battery replacement resolve my issue ?

2. Will any other parts of my laptop malfunction in the future?
3. Will I have to replace my motherboard ?
4. Can I show my laptop to some local service agency?
5. Is there any provision to get the motherboard replaced in warranty ?

Please help me swiftly with your valuable comments
Regards
Anees
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,870 posts.

25-Oct-2012, 02:39 PM #2
Hello Anees, and welcome to TSG.

You are most likely correct that the 5 beeps indicates a CMOS battery problem. There is no way of easily knowing if the fall loosened the battery in its socket and it needs to be reseated or if the fall damaged the motherboard in the area of the CMOS battery with a broken solder connection or a broken trace on the motherboard.

Checking the CMOS coin cell battery will require disassembly of the computer as described in Dell's on line documentation here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/sm/index.htm

A local computer repair shop should be able to do the work for you and tell you if the problem is more than just a loose battery.

Most standard laptop warranties that I have seen do not cover damage caused by abuse, like dropping the computer.

EDIT: I have no idea what you mean by a, "battery flea".
Computer Specs
Member with 2 posts.

26-Oct-2012, 01:57 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwozniak View Post
Hello Anees, and welcome to TSG.

You are most likely correct that the 5 beeps indicates a CMOS battery problem. There is no way of easily knowing if the fall loosened the battery in its socket and it needs to be reseated or if the fall damaged the motherboard in the area of the CMOS battery with a broken solder connection or a broken trace on the motherboard.

Checking the CMOS coin cell battery will require disassembly of the computer as described in Dell's on line documentation here:
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/sm/index.htm

A local computer repair shop should be able to do the work for you and tell you if the problem is more than just a loose battery.

Most standard laptop warranties that I have seen do not cover damage caused by abuse, like dropping the computer.

EDIT: I have no idea what you mean by a, "battery flea".

thanks a lot chuck. i wil show my laptop at a local.service station. by battery flea it means you drain all the static electricity on the board. for that you have to remove your standard external battery and also.disconnect the power cord. then press the power button for.20sec and restart your comp with the battery. in my case the beep disappeared,but came back later !!
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!