Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Laptop Screen Replaced, Still Doesn't Work

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

06-Nov-2012, 04:41 PM #1
Laptop Screen Replaced, Still Doesn't Work
Hello,

I have a Toshiba Tecra M5 laptop without a functioning screen. The original screen died over the course of a couple of days. I believe it was the backlight. The screen would go very dark, but I could still see images on the screen very faintly. I would press the toggle switch that syncs with an external monitor a couple of times, and eventually the screen would come on again. This went on for a couple of days until finally I could see the screen trying to come on, partially lighting one corner, but unable to turn on.

I connected my laptop to an external monitor and was able to get by with that while I waited for my replacement to come. I ordered a "screen caddy" from eBay, the same model as my laptop sold as-is for parts. Among the working parts on it were the screen and the fingerpad mouse, which I also needed. The "screen caddy" is unable to boot, but it starts the process enough so that you can see the screen does work properly.

The trouble is that when I put the screen into my own computer, I don't get any image at all. The symptoms are different from my original problem. I'm not able to see images on the screen, even faintly. I can see that the backlight does come on. I've checked the connections and cannot find a problem.

I'm out of ideas for what to try. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,834 posts.

06-Nov-2012, 09:20 PM #2
The backlight is usually all or nothing. Did you change the Inverter as well as the screen ?

Please explain what a 'screen caddy' is and exactly which parts you have exchanged.
Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Nov-2012, 12:39 AM #3
Issues with the inverter usually present as screen backlight not working, but desktop still faintly visible on the black screen.

Issues with the screen cable usually present as garbled colours, all red/all blue/all green, screen flickering on/off when lid is moved (or lid needing to be held at a certain angle for display to work) or nothing on screen and no backlight at all. Fibres inside the wires could be severed even if the cable looks intact.

Issues with the LCD panel usually present as physical damage (lines, cracks, spots), uneven/gradiented backlighting, or no backlighting with a known-working inverter.

What parts have you swapped out of your laptop and does it show the same symptoms if you put the old parts back in?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!