Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Acer 1410 HOW TO BIOS UPDATE

(!)

Member with 1 posts.

02-Feb-2013, 02:40 AM #1
Angry Acer 1410 HOW TO BIOS UPDATE
I have a friends Acer Aspire 1410

It was previously had Ubuntu on, but it stopped booting, so I have formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7 Starter

Then 5 mins later, it stopped booting - I have been told to update the Bios but I have no clue on how to do this

http://support.acer.com/us/en/Produc...x?modelId=1251

The most recent one on here is in exe format?

I have a 4gb USB stick

A working Macbook pro with OSX 10.7.5 with a working Windows 7 available via Parallels

I do not have a USB floppy disk drive, so is there a way of doing this via USB
Member with 1,636 posts.

02-Feb-2013, 08:54 AM #2
Who told you to update the bios?
Member with 7 posts.

02-Feb-2013, 09:10 AM #3
BIOS update is NOT that tough anymore. I did it more than 100 times without a problem. But...

WARNING:

1) Always take the backup your priceless Data
2) If possible, take the back up of the current BIOS before flashing.
3) DO NOT attach any external devices *when* flashing. Example, USB devices or any connectable device which is NOT part of the laptop.

Also:

a) Disconnect from Internet. Stop all AV and Firewall programs in the System tray or any opened ones.
b) With Laptop battery fully charged, connect to the power supply.

Now go to Acer site, download the BIOS update w.r.t to your OS only. Example, if you use Windows XP then do not flash a BIOS which is meant for Windows 7. Read this BIOS note from Acer website:

Updates USB kernel code to fix issue System resume from hibernation then stop at windows cursor after installed win7 SP1.

I hope my point is understood.

Now, download a BIOS file like this one (zip):

BIOS_Acer_2.11_A_A

Unzip it. Then open the BIOS folder. You should see DOS and Windows folders. Then open the Windows folder. In my case, it shows a EXE file like this "JALA0211"

Before hitting it, make sure you followed my instructions in the above.

DO NOT stop the power during BIOS flashing (just in case). DON'T do anything, just wait for 5-10 min to do its job. After that BIOS program will reboot the PC itself.

Now execute the program.

After reboot, get into BIOS (F2). Cross check everything setting in detail (some might go in default values etc). Make a note of the updated BIOS.

Exit the BIOS and boot into Windows. That should do the job.
Computer Specs
Moderator with 31,362 posts.

02-Feb-2013, 09:21 AM #4
We do NOT recommend you updating the bios unless the update has a fix or support you need. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

If the bios update you intend to install has a feature you require ie win7 support, then make sure you FULLY understand the flashing procedure before you attempt this task.

FWIW I tend to think you have a hardware problem, not a bios problem.
Quote:
It was previously had Ubuntu on, but it stopped booting, so I have formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7 Starter

Then 5 mins later, it stopped booting - I have been told to update the Bios but I have no clue on how to do this
Member with 7 posts.

02-Feb-2013, 01:27 PM #5
I concur.

Always keep BIOS update as last thing to do unless some problem affects you. Example, in my case, I always update BIOS because when we buy new Asus/Gigabyte boards (be it P67 or P55), initial versions are not good enough or buggy. But this need not be true in your case or most cases.

So it depends, not just BIOS. One could update DVD drive firmware, if there is some problem or a fix for a bug etc.

Important Note:

a) If your System doesn't boot

and/or

b) If you lose some data or partition

Then don't try to panic. Make sure you keep this copy with you:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

TestDisk is a damn good tool to recover almost anything (data/partitions etc). It's very handy, also not that difficult to learn quickly.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!