Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: flash drive won't load

(!)

Member with 2 posts.

18-Feb-2013, 06:12 PM #1
Solved: flash drive won't load
Flash drive was plugged in and son pushed laptop off my lap now flash drive won't load. When plug into USB the light comes on then in seconds goes off and not loaded. When I go to My Computer it is not listed. Other flash drives load, so it is not the comuter. Is there anyway to retreive the files on this flash drive?
Member with 893 posts.

Experience: Advanced
18-Feb-2013, 06:26 PM #2
You can "Google" for Data Recovery Software and try to do it your self, or pay for professional services.
Computer Specs
Member with 350 posts.

19-Feb-2013, 12:17 AM #3
Sounds like the connector to the thumbdrive probably got damaged. Can you disassemble it, take a photo, and post it on here? It'd help us determine if the drive is dead or not.

Good luck with data recovery on thumbdrives if the chip itself is damaged. Unless you have access to an electron microscope, forget it.
Member with 2 posts.

19-Feb-2013, 02:18 AM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba7 View Post
Sounds like the connector to the thumbdrive probably got damaged. Can you disassemble it, take a photo, and post it on here? It'd help us determine if the drive is dead or not.

Good luck with data recovery on thumbdrives if the chip itself is damaged. Unless you have access to an electron microscope, forget it.

I was afraid to take apart, but after you posted I decided what could it hurt? I could see one of the solders broken. I was able to apply presure with my nail and hold a connection just long enough to move all my files to a new drive. Thank you so very much for the confidence that breaking the cover would not do any further damage!

Thank you for your help!!
Computer Specs
Member with 350 posts.

19-Feb-2013, 02:31 AM #5
No prob. Glad I could help.

I would suggest keeping the "bad" thumbdrive. Just find someone with a soldering iron and have them resolder the points. It's usually a 30 second fix.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!