Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Dell Inspiron 530S won't turn on

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Mar-2013, 03:04 PM #1
Unhappy Solved: Dell Inspiron 530S won't turn on
Hi. My Dell Inspiron 530S won't turn on. The green light by the power cord connection in the back lights up, but when I push the power button, nothing happens. No beeps or flashing colors, nothing happens at all. I have Windows Vista Home edition. The computer is between 2 to 3 years old. I just purchased Winferno Registry Power cleaner last week and after running it, the computer seemed to be faster. This same issue happened last week (before running Winferno) and we unplugged the power cord from the back of the PC for about 5 minutes and after we plugged it back in, it came on. Everything was working beautifully and then my son got on it and it kept freezing up. I didn't have time to look at it right then, so he did a proper shut down thinking that may resolve the issue. But the next morning, when I push the power button, nothing happens. We tried the unplugging again, even for an hour. But no matter what we do, it won't come on. I am not computer illiterate, but not an expert either. I think this may be a power supply issue, but would appreciate some feedback, before I purchase one. Thanks for any assitance.
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

03-Mar-2013, 12:36 AM #2
Sure sounds like a PSU gone bad.
Quote:
If for any reason you are not satisfied with Registry Power Cleaner (One Year Subscription) just let us know within 30 days of purchase and we will refund your money. 100% Refund!
Get a refund on this Registry program as it will trash your Operating System sooner then later.

Please consider this?

Quote:
Quote from Phantom010

You should avoid Registry Cleaners, Boosters, Optimizers, TuneUp Utilities... This type of software will do a lot more harm than good, and should only be used by advanced users who really know their way around the registry. Never to be used blindly on "Auto" mode. Most members coming here with WEIRD symptoms had their computer messed up by malware and/or registry cleaners. These utilities do not only remove what "they think" are orphan entries in the registry but legitimate files still in use will be deleted in the process, crippling some programs and Windows applications beyond repair. In a word, it's a scam.

Keep in mind that they will always find "errors" to fix, even on a fresh Windows install! In itself, this should be enough to convince non-believers...

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Registry_Cleaners

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04...stry-cleaners/

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...eaking_13.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001077.htm
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,536 posts.

Experience: Advanced
03-Mar-2013, 11:08 AM #3
Quote:
I just purchased Winferno Registry Power Cleaner last week
Installing and using these type of programs can break Windows and break programs and generate error/warning messages and wreak havoc with a computer.

Never ever use them, no matter what they claim they can do.

It's my guess that Windows has been trashed, but it may also be a power supply or some other hardware issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

03-Mar-2013, 04:04 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainron276 View Post
Sure sounds like a PSU gone bad.

Get a refund on this Registry program as it will trash your Operating System sooner then later.

Please consider this?
Thank you very much. I did not know this and never used one before. I will work on getting a refund and will remove it from my PC, if I ever get it to turn back on. So you think that if I replace the power supply, it will fix the computer?
captainron276   (Ron) captainron276 is offline captainron276 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

03-Mar-2013, 04:20 PM #5
Do you by chance have a local computer shop you could take it in for a check out? Or someone who has a PSU that they could use to check out your computer? It's hard to tell exactly what is the problem without being there to check it out.
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is online now flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

03-Mar-2013, 04:29 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhondaLee1 View Post
I will work on getting a refund and will remove it from my PC, if I ever get it to turn back on.
Good luck with getting a refund.

--------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

03-Mar-2013, 04:58 PM #7
Quote:
Do you by chance have a local computer shop you could take it in for a check out? Or someone who has a PSU that they could use to check out your computer? It's hard to tell exactly what is the problem without being there to check it out.
I understand. I found one on e-bay for only $32, I think I will buy it and put it in and then if not fixed go from there. I don't have anyone to check it out or a PSU that I could borrow to check it.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 01:01 AM #8
The one you are getting on ebay, was it the 300W ? I tried looking for a good one; but being that it is a slimline type, they are more than likely proprietary in nature.

Last edited by captainron276; 04-Mar-2013 at 01:13 AM..
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 02:46 PM #9
Quote:
The one you are getting on ebay, was it the 300W ? I tried looking for a good one; but being that it is a slimline type, they are more than likely proprietary in nature.
Yes, but I sent the seller an email to see if it would be compatible. My owner's manual says mine is 250 watt. I found another one, for $69 plus $8.95 shipping. So the ebay is a lot better deal. Do you think it would work. If it helps my Service tag is 9QPRNH1.

Thanks so much for your help.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 03:01 PM #10
The 300W is fine. I would go with that one.
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 07:16 PM #11
Quote:
The 300W is fine. I would go with that one.
Thank you, I ordered it. I will let you know if this resolves the issue after we receive and install it. Is there anyway to give you credit for helping me?
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

04-Mar-2013, 07:18 PM #12
No need as we are all just here to help out when we can Hope this takes care of it, and be sure to update this thread with the good news
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2013, 10:08 AM #13
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-I.../ref=de_a_smtd

----------------------------------------------------------
Computer Specs
Member with 80 posts.

05-Mar-2013, 11:34 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavallee View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-I.../ref=de_a_smtd

----------------------------------------------------------
Thanks, that is a good deal. I already ordered one from ebay for $32. I got the refund from Winferno today. I will post more after I install the new PSU.
Computer Specs
Member with 3,699 posts.

06-Mar-2013, 12:31 AM #15
Sounds good and glad you received your refund
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell inspiron 530s, power supply issue, won't turn on

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!