Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

internal hard disk drive not found, until i run diagnostics..why?

(!)

Member with 7 posts.

03-Mar-2013, 05:20 PM #1
Unhappy internal hard disk drive not found, until i run diagnostics..why?
Hello! I have a Dell studio 1735 laptop, with (seemingly) common problem and even more interesting spin to it.

When I boot, it sticks to the dell bios screen at about 95%, then shows up with this message:

"internal hard disk drive not found
To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive."
(system beeps)
"No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics"

Of course, i press F5, it runs its full diagnostics, with flying colors (everything passes)
once thats done, it boots to windows fine, but its the ONLY way im able to boot to windows,i just dont want to have to do the full diagnostic EVERY time i turn on my laptop.. (plus i think that means that the HDD is going bad?)

I have reseated, checked connections, etc. i have pretty much checked all that i can find online about how to fix this issue, but no one else seems to have the same situation i do.

im not sure if anyone could help me, but im savvy enough to dump diagnostic files on here/etc.. i appreciate the help in advance
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,619 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Mar-2013, 12:10 PM #2
Dells have odd BIOS's where you must have any SATA ports disabled that don't have drives connected to them. Verify that only the one SATA port is enabled and the right drive is showing the boot order. The laptops appears to come with an option for a second hard drive. Does yours have a second hard drive? If so has it failed?
Member with 7 posts.

05-Mar-2013, 06:48 PM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple6 View Post
Dells have odd BIOS's where you must have any SATA ports disabled that don't have drives connected to them. Verify that only the one SATA port is enabled and the right drive is showing the boot order. The laptops appears to come with an option for a second hard drive. Does yours have a second hard drive? If so has it failed?
in the bios it doesnt give me an option to disable them ?? i have an empty HDD2 tray, all the diagnostics i run on the disc in question comes up fine.

also, if i change the sata operation to AHCI to ATA (and turn off or on the flash cache module) is when it wont find the drive, but when i change it back to AHCI it will boot windows (7) to the point where the logo is starting to form and then it BSODs (fast) and bios pops back up.

any ideas?
Computer Specs

05-Mar-2013, 09:59 PM #4
The reboot makes sense when you switch SATA modes, Windows doesn't have the right driver anymore and bluescreens.

Not fully following, if you keep the SATA mode at ATA but turn the Flash Cache Module, does it boot properly or no?

What BIOS level are you at? You may want to download and re-flash the BIOS to the latest one from the Dell website.

Here's a utility to allow the change in the BIOS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Run it while in the working mode, then boot into the BIOS and change it to the new mode.
Member with 7 posts.

06-Mar-2013, 08:16 PM #5
Quote:
The reboot makes sense when you switch SATA modes, Windows doesn't have the right driver anymore and bluescreens.
seemingly so with how the situation is now when it boots, its just odd that i set it all up in the AHCI mode by default and it worked for a while then just quit.

Quote:
What BIOS level are you at? You may want to download and re-flash the BIOS to the latest one from the Dell website.
Studio 1735 Series
A05

Quote:
Not fully following, if you keep the SATA mode at ATA but turn the Flash Cache Module, does it boot properly or no?
sorry for the bad explination, right now, if i put it at this setting it boots halfway to windows (almost makes the 'window' icon), then fast bluescreens 0x0000007B (cant find the drive..)

onboard devices -> SATA operation: AHCI (Default)
onboard devices -> Flash Cache Module: Enabled (Default)

then i switched it to these settings and rebooted and it booted JUST fine: edit: a few times over so far on restarts and all is okay.
onboard devices -> SATA operation: ATA
onboard devices -> Flash Cache Module: Disabled

Quote:
Here's a utility to allow the change in the BIOS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
Run it while in the working mode, then boot into the BIOS and change it to the new mode.
ill run it now that i got some results and let you know how it goes on the boot afterwards. this should help the problem immensely, but ill update. THANK YOU!

Last edited by Knome303; 06-Mar-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: more info
Member with 7 posts.

06-Mar-2013, 08:21 PM #6
so i ran that microsoft diagnostic tool, and i thought it fixed the issue, until i shut down and turned back on.

same error.

ive noticed something though: if i press F2 when i get the error to go into BIOS settings, as long as i do SOMETHING so it asks me to save the bios, when it restarts after it saves, it will boot windows just fine, but not until i either do that or the diagnostic from a turn on of a cold boot. could it be an issue with bios itself?

update: also once i restart windows from windows, it restarts fine, but if i shut down and turn on, i get the error.

Last edited by Knome303; 07-Mar-2013 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: update
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2013, 08:19 AM #7
After running the Microsoft Fixit, can you switch to AHCI mode and boot successfully?
Member with 7 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 08:45 AM #8
i have to switch back and forth, unless its restarting and not 'cold booting' or 'hard booting' i think its referred to as, if im just restarting it works fine, if its from a fresh start up i have to either change something in the bios that allows me to save (and then restarts and loads windows fine, either SATA or ATA, doesnt matter (nor does the fast option)

so it seems to not find the drive on a cold boot, but will after i edit the bios (even if it has NOTHING to do with the boot order or anything, it seems like i need the bios to "re-load"
Member with 7 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 08:51 AM #9
also: after the microsoft fixit, i was able to boot under both ways (AHCI or whatever and ATA) and the other thing doesnt matter if i have it on or off.

BUT the ONLY way i can make the system FIND the drive with the OS on it is to press F2 when the computer loads and go into bios, make a change that wont effect anything (possibly bottom of the list boot order) and then save, and it boots windows fine.

also i noticed that if i boot from the windows CD, and then press escape when it asks me what i would like to do (recovery, etc) and it will boot windows that way too from a cold boot.

odd, yes?
Member with 7 posts.

07-Mar-2013, 04:13 PM #10
Quote:
After running the Microsoft Fixit, can you switch to AHCI mode and boot successfully?
only if i do the steps i just mentioned. also i can boot by doing these steps as well in either mode:

(windows 7 install disk is in the drive)
turn system on
press F12 at boot screen (boot list)
it comes up with the internal error and then proceeds to ask what to boot on
i press enter to boot to dvd/cd
the next prompt where it gives recovery options, i press escape, and it boots to windows.

... otherwise, it cant find the drive.
Computer Specs

07-Mar-2013, 08:40 PM #11
Almost sounds like the drive isn't ready during a normal boot unless it's given more time. Is there any option for a hard drive delay in the BIOS? Some desktops have such an option. Or disable an Fast or Quick Boot option in the BIOS.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
dell, drive, hard, hardware failure, internal

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!