Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't read files on my CD-RW

(!)

Member with 64 posts.

17-Feb-2003, 07:52 PM #1
Can't read files on my CD-RW
Every week for a year I back up about 500MB of files to a CD-RW and move some files to my laptop. Today I copied the usual files and then looked at the CD, only one file was shown, the others appeared to be gone. I moved the CD to my other drive, same view.
I moved the CD to my laptop and all files were visible, same on the wife's machine. Back to my machine, only one file.
I tried 3 different restore dates and none took.
Any ideas why I can't access the files on this machine?
Member with 40 posts.

17-Feb-2003, 08:09 PM #2
Strange you can see it on two machines but not on one of them. What software do you use to backup to CD with? I sometimes get this when i've reocrded on a disk which isn't blank and am using the multisession option. I'll sometimes only see the most recent session when inserted into another PC. If you have EZCD Creator 5 from Roxio there is a session selector option allowing you to view and select the session you want to view. You could also try CD Roller 4 which will show you all available sessions on a disk.
Member with 64 posts.

17-Feb-2003, 08:16 PM #3
CD-RW
Thanks for the reply, I am using EZCD creator 5 but don't think I changed any settings but will sure go look.
Member with 6,832 posts.

17-Feb-2003, 08:42 PM #4
If you have recycled the same RW too many times you will start encountering errors. Some error correction is better than others in the readers Ė whether burners or CD-ROM drives. If your computer has a second optical drive (like burner and CD-ROM) try it on both.
Member with 153 posts.

17-Feb-2003, 08:48 PM #5
Copy the data to one of the computers it can be read on and then burn it from there to another CD-RW on the same machine.

Test the new CD-RW to see if your machine can read it.
Member with 64 posts.

18-Feb-2003, 12:18 PM #6
Can't read files on CD-RW
Thanks to all that answered. I have tried to copy it on my laptop and it gets 75% of the files then stops. Even though all the files are usuable on the laptop apparently they can't be copied.
I have been using this disk for nearly a year, time for a new one I guess.
Thanks again, guys.
Member with 6,832 posts.

18-Feb-2003, 07:17 PM #7
Alex Ethridge often posts on the board and he backs up daily to RWs that he cycles. He says that they start getting errors fairly quickly if you donít change them out. Seems I remember he gets only a dozen of so full rewrites from a particular RW before the error rate requires him to replace it. He was doing it when we were posting on a board that has been out of business for a couple of years, so he knows a lot about backing up to RW. If you overwrite a lot of stuff daily I would change the thing out at least monthly.
Member with 64 posts.

18-Feb-2003, 07:26 PM #8
Smile Can't read files on CD-RW
Good info, based on his change out, I should do mine every 6 months.....which I will certainly do. Thank you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!