Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Canon BJC-6000 Problem

(!)

Member with 48 posts.

05-Mar-2003, 09:16 PM #1
Canon BJC-6000 Problem
Hey Guys,

I have a Canon BJC-6000 printer, WinXP Pro system.

My printer had been working fine for quite a while (over 2 yrs now) without a problem. I've used both OEM catridges and compatibles without a hitch.

I recently ordered new ink cartridges from my favorite non-OEM supplier and when I put it in, the printer light turned yellow and beeped at me 6 times. Checking with the Canon website, it told me that the cartridge might have been bad and not recognized. So I sent it back to teh company and got me a replacement - no questions asked.

When I put this one in, same thing. So I went and bought me an OEM one....same thing. I even tried the suggestion of unplugging the printer for a minute or so for a "reset", but still nothing.

Since it's out of warrany, I need to see about some good help from you good people before I go spend money on calling Canon's tech support or chunking this thing and buying me a new printer.

TIA!
Senior Member with 3,337 posts.

Experience: Advanced, but still learn
06-Mar-2003, 06:26 AM #2
I got out of Canon tech support just about the time the BJC 6000 came out, so I'm not familiar with that particular printer...

...however, a good thing to try ANY time a printer has problems recognizing a cartridge is to clean the electrical contacts. The eraser on the end of a pencil works quite well.

Also, Canon does have some generic (free) tech support on their website...you might find some help there.
Member with 48 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 08:31 AM #3
Quote:
Originally posted by brushmaster1:
Also, Canon does have some generic (free) tech support on their website...you might find some help there.
That's where I found the section about the print cartridge not being recognized and what the 6 beeps meant.

I'll try the eraser head thing when I get home from work and see how it does. Funny how their online *free* tech support didn't mention that.
Member with 48 posts.

06-Mar-2003, 08:41 PM #4
Nope, that didn't work. Still the yellow light and 6 beeps.

07-Mar-2003, 12:50 AM #5
Looks like it's time to bite the bullet and call Canon tech support then. Ask them for a case number and remember the name of the tech you talk to. Make sure your problem is followed all the way though to resolution. Don't be afraid to ask to speak to a supervisor...
Junior Member with 5 posts.

07-Mar-2003, 07:00 AM #6
Have you tried replacing the BJ cartridges (color or b+w) ? They hold the tanks and contain the print heads. They are fairly pricey ( I had to replace the color cartridge - about $45) but come with full tank(s).
Member with 48 posts.

07-Mar-2003, 10:38 AM #7
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeFarad:
Have you tried replacing the BJ cartridges (color or b+w) ? They hold the tanks and contain the print heads. They are fairly pricey ( I had to replace the color cartridge - about $45) but come with full tank(s).
Can I just buy the tanks alone? I've got all new cartridges and hate to spend all that on 4 more new ones.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
07-Mar-2003, 10:51 AM #8
Don't take my post wrong, please. But since the printer is over a couple of years old, and since I've seen similar printers being sold at Walmart for $39 (includes color and black cartridge, worth at least the $39) I don't think I would waste too much time or money on that one......just my two centavos.

07-Mar-2003, 07:56 PM #9
Sorry, Candy... the BJC 6000 is not a $39 entry level printer.

The BJC 6000 uses separate tanks for each color...they do NOT contain the print heads. I don't know how much new print heads would cost, but on the BJC 600 and 620 (older Canon printers with a similar system) they were quite expensive.

That said, if you call Canon tech support, they are quite likely to advise you to buy new print heads. If they do so advise, ask to speak to a supervisor. Some lazy techs will tell you to buy new printheads just to get out of a long troubleshooting session.
Junior Member with 24 posts.

07-Mar-2003, 09:03 PM #10
Canon BJC-6000 Problem
I can't verify all of this but a friend has 2 of these printers and he swears by them. He had the same problem you did and had to replace the print heads. They are separate from the ink tanks and the do eventually wear out. It sounds like you got a lot of use from your printer.
Before you buy the printheads verify from the Canon people that that is the problem. They should know immediately if they printheads are bad. If they hedge a little, then they don't know what the problem is either
Johnn
Member with 48 posts.

07-Mar-2003, 09:51 PM #11
Okay, before I spend the $$ on the tech support call (and not on an 800# mind you), lemme ask this question,

With the 6000 model, the "trays/holders" (i dunno what you call them - it's what holds the cartridges themselves) are what have the print heads "built" into them. Are those things that expensive to replace? Heck, I've seen them with ink cartridges in them for $45 at like Best Buy and CompUSA. If that tray-thing/print head item is the problem, what's an approx. cost for an empty one - if I can get one locally (which I've never seen).

TIA

08-Mar-2003, 12:45 AM #12
It may not be possible to buy the printheads without getting new tanks as well...at least that's the way it works with Canon's other printers. No problem...just save the new tanks (in a ziploc bag in the fridge will help to keep them fresh) and use the tanks you already have.

08-Mar-2003, 08:52 PM #13
Why don't you check with the Canon web-site?
They may have something
That's too good a printer to trash.

08-Mar-2003, 09:31 PM #14
I checked the major stores, staples, office max, office depot
They don't list these printheads. The Canon site doesn't mention this printer, and like you said the printheads for the older model are $70. Looks like Canon doesn't want you to use this printer.
They can't make any money out of you. The printer is too efficient.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

23-Apr-2003, 07:18 PM #15
I had to replace my BJ cartridge (print head) to fix this. The new ink tanks that come included with it are individually wrapped and can be saved for later use. The ink tanks that you are using from the worn-out print head can be used in the new one.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!