Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

PC wont boot/no picture

(!)

Geeba Geeba is offline   Geeba has a birthday soon!
Member with 54 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 12:39 AM #1
PC wont boot/no picture
Hi there. Thanks for taking the time to look at this one.

When I power on a friends PC, the hard drive appears to be working+the cd rom tray will open and close, but there is no picture on the monitor. I have tried to boot from A and can here it working as well as the Fan but no picture.
I put someone elses screen to the tower in question and still no picture.
I put the monitor to someone elses tower and the monitor worked fine.
PS When powered up, on the monitor instead of the normal green light there is now a red LED
Q? How do I diagnose from here

Running an older Pentium 2

Cheers
Member with 293 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 12:49 AM #2
Check your video card (the card that has the monitor connector). Make sure it's seated all the way in. Reseat it if possible. If that doesn't make your monitor turn on, then your video card is most likely bad.
Member with 54 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 01:20 AM #3
Thanks
I have already reseated the video card. And no go!
I could perhaps try it in a diferent slot.
Is there any way to check all options (ie motherboard/HDD) before lashing out and buying a video card.
Member with 293 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 03:14 AM #4
Hmm..try a different slot..however I doubt it will work. It does sound like your card is bad. If you want to make sure it's not the HDD or motherboard or any other hardware, you would have to install it on a different computer to see if it works fine..I wouldn't go through all that trouble though. I'd get a new card..and if it turns out that it still aint booting up, simply return it.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Mar-2003, 11:32 AM #5
Check the ram chips and cpu to be sure they are inserted tightly.
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Mar-2003, 11:54 AM #6
Did the monitor blow... Just suggesting, it may not be the PC at all, but the monitor.
Computer Specs
Member with 4,006 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Mar-2003, 12:19 PM #7
If you can swap monitors with someone else then it shouldn't be a big problem to insert your friends card into that other PC to test it but if you'd rather not then if you have a local mom & pop puter place in town, you should be able to pick up an old card for $5 or $10 and if you plug that in, even if it's an ancient beast, you should at least see the BIOS startup routine if not Windows.

I'm assuming from your post that you don't even see the BIOS routine as if the monitor's getting no signal.

If you still see nothing that will tell you if the card is bad or something else in the way of hardware, controller, etc., providing Candy's last suggestion doesn't bear fruit. I wouldn't spend $50 to $400 for a test by buying a new card at this point since you don't really know what's wrong.

If you open a new card package, put it in and then take it back, many places (most) won't give your money back.
vesselle vesselle is offline vesselle has a Profile Picture
Member with 291 posts.

Experience: zippy the pinhead!
10-Mar-2003, 12:24 PM #8
she swapped monitors, gotrootdude. it worked fine on the other puter.

i'm sure it's the card, too, but why don't you try the video card from your friend's pc? maybe she'll be nice enough to let you, since you already did the monitor swap earlier with her help. that would settle that question.

V***V
Member with 37 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 12:47 PM #9
I think that i have the same problem, i just installed a new mb and cpu, everything should be transferable/compatable, but when i start up it turns on , ie fans hd drives etc, but it doesn't load up, everything is in but no boot(post), the only problems i think that it could be is that the mb has both sdram and ddr ram, and my athlon xp/mb use a 266 fsb and the ram is 133, could this be a problem, i want to upgrade to the ddr, but moey is an issue, and i don't want to buy the ram right now unless it is the fix, trial and error is probably the only answer, but that can cost money. Could the motyherboard be bad???

i could try a new graphics card, but i thought the video test was after the ram/drive tests or is it first becvause the video info comes up first on the screen before those othersteps??? maybe i'll try as new card before ram, hmm

Dan
Member with 54 posts.

10-Mar-2003, 07:54 PM #10
Thankyou everyone for their suggestions,
I will borrow a card, but that'll take a few days
I'll keep you posted.
Graham
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!