Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Compaq Presario Laptop CMOS Battery

(!)

Junior Member with 6 posts.

12-Mar-2003, 10:24 PM #1
I need to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard of my Compaq Presario 1200 Laptop. Does anyone have instructions on opening the case to access the battery?
I have been able to get the case open enough to access the Hard Drive but can't figure out how to get all of the way to the battery which, I believe, is very near the back of the unit under the hinges to the screen.
If I were able to remove the screen, I might be able to get that part of the case apart.
Suggestions please,
Thanks,
Pilithigh
MadDogMugsy
Guest with n/a posts.

13-Mar-2003, 09:13 AM #2
Hi pilithigh
I shot over to Compaq to see what they had to say
http://thenew.hp.com/country/us/eng/support.html

http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/

I went into their support site and asked "replace cmos battery"
and I was givien the following
search results

The model of Presarios (even within the 1200 series) differ in their handling (some old batteries should not be removed ...

"To replace the CMOS battery on specific models of Presarios:
Do not remove the preinstalled battery.
The Pre-installed battery is soldered on for a reason. It is not meant to be removed and should not be. Removal of the battery voids any remaining warranty on the computer.
Comapq does not have instructions on how to remove the preinstalled battery.
The replacement battery is attached to the motherboard by a small cable on the battery itself, and by pins on the motherboard near the battery itself.
The part # for the new battery from Compaq is 160274-001.
You can order it from 800-340-2667, or phone support should be able to send it out to you with little problem.
Simply attach the battery to the motherboard, and use the velcro pieces included with the batter to attach the battery to the inside of the case. Installation takes less than 10 minutes.
You do not need to save any settings in CMOS. If you lose the CMOS settings, then simply attach the battery and boot the computer. The settings will be redetected by the computer."

or
"In older model Presario PC's the original CMOS battery was soldered to the system board and could not be removed. However, you can install a replacement battery pack, which plugs into the P7 jumper on the system board. The part number for the replacement battery pack is 160274-001. It can be ordered from PC Service Source at 1-800-340-2667.

For Presario models purchased recently, Compaq uses a coin shaped battery in a small socket which can be removed and replaced with the same type. Radio Shack stores carry these types of batteries at a reasonable price."

.. so I would suggest a trip to their support site before going forward. They have a terrifc live chat helper in there
http://vztxcisccpro.compaq.com/bus-nacons/caller

You will need the model number and serial number.

I hope this info is of use to you
cheers
MDM
MadDogMugsy
Guest with n/a posts.

13-Mar-2003, 09:25 AM #3
I just noticed your posting number, so I had to pop back in to say ...
WELCOME to TSG!!!

13-Mar-2003, 11:09 AM #4
Thanks MDM,
I'll see what I can do with the info you posted, but it looks like I still need directions on how to open the laptop case to get to the battery.
Pilithigh
MadDogMugsy
Guest with n/a posts.

13-Mar-2003, 11:29 AM #5
you're more than welcome
while you are waiting for another TSG response on the case ... try their chat service & ask them as well - it is great
MDM

13-Mar-2003, 11:35 PM #6
MDM,
I did try the online chat service. It worked very well. While the tech was very helpful he was not able to solve my underlying problem - computer will not even go to POST. However, he reluctantly did give me the URL link to the COMPAQ service manual that deals with taking the laptop case apart.
At least with the case apart I will have direct access to the inards for my hammer.
Thanks again.
Pilithigh
Member with 489 posts.

14-Mar-2003, 05:22 PM #7
Could you send me a link to that service manual? (I too have a 1200 that doesn't work.)

30-Mar-2003, 09:02 PM #8
Kramnnim,
Sorry that it has taken me so long to get back to you. I have been out of town.
The link for the Presario service manual is:
http://tinyurl.com/4f73
Good luck,
Pilithigh

30-Mar-2003, 09:04 PM #9
Oh, by the way, the CMOS battery is underneath the modem.
Pilithigh
Member with 489 posts.

30-Mar-2003, 10:50 PM #10
Thanks!

I took the laptop all apart last week and put it back together again, and it works! Somewhat...

And of course after it was back together I had some pieces left over,
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Aug-2003, 01:43 AM #11
Angry BAD MANUAL- BAAAD Computer Owner
Thanks for clarifying this issue here, ESPECIALLLY regarding COMPAQ's instructions on where to find the battery. I have a Presario 1200 XL111 (AMD-K6 500mhz-Win 98SE) just off extended warranty. I have always fought with shutdown issues, when often the only way to shut down is to pull the battery. And at times I thought it was just overheated when it wouldn't start for a few hours or so . . .
BUT NOW!
The shutdowns have been worse lately, and yesterday the computer had issues with the hibchk path. But I let a friend use it last night (its now my spare) who I trust to take care of the computer. She was upset this morning because it wouldn't start--I thought it might take time. But I got impatient, downloaded the manual, and GUESS WHAT! This non-newbie read in the manual where the battery was supposed to be-didn't see one. Did google search--found discussions on soldering new cmos batteries--but no pictures to see what they looked like. So I did something REALLY STUPID! I looked at the manual again, decided that it wouldn't be wrong, and pulled out something that didn't resemble a battery (except it said 6v on it and was almost exactly in the location shown by the manual. It appeared to come out almost naturally, except there were two wires/ruins of the existing part that I took out. I don't know what it was, but it broke, and it looks like something I would want to call a capacitor (sorry, not electrical techie) and it was the biggest thing around except for the slots for the drive/touchpad cables. It looks like a little water tower (not the skinny kind that leans, but something a little shorter and more solid, with two fairly thick wires attached to the board at CE1 near FD Conn, Q, AoA26? . . .

The top of it reads,

QAG
6v

I did a search but came up blank--same with online Compaq support. Can anyone tell me what I might have done???

I read this thread and located the battery (YES, it LOOKS like a battery) under the modem, as stated here. Boy do I feel stupid!

Anyway, I pulled the cmos battery for 15-20 minutes while I tried to get my little friend back onto its supports (1 broke off, and the other sort of goes in and enlarged hole in the bottom of this little guy)--I know--it could fry my motherboard or something.

The funny thing is, my symptoms are EXACTLY as before . . .
AC plugged in--one green light at AC indicator. Nothing else has ANY effect! The battery itself (test button on pack) reads fully charged, and the AC wont even try to charge it. Battery only--no light. No lights come on when I push/hold power button in any configuration, and the fans don't move. The button clicks as it should, but there is NO EFFECT. This is the same as it was before I tried to yank random stuff out of the motherboard.

Again, since it seems common, the computer is a Presario 1200 XL111 notebook--purchased March 2000 98 SE, AMD-K6 500 mhz 6 GB (stupidly partitioned so only 4.25GB or so useable), and I didn't smell anything burnt nor did I see anything obviously out of the ordinary (until I was done) I have frequently experienced issues at startup with hibernation file path (syntax, mainly) and continual shutdown issues especially when drives are full. But this is the FIRST time it has done something so drastic. Any suggestions, except not to pull unidentified objects out of the motherboard???
Thanks, and DON"T listen to the manual on THAT topic!!!
Junior Member with 3 posts.

12-Aug-2003, 01:10 PM #12
i need help uninstalling old scanner software
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!