Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Hardware Hardware
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

scanner lamp (bulb?)

(!)

Member with 483 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
22-Jun-2003, 06:13 PM #1
scanner lamp (bulb?)
where can I get a lamp for a microtek 4600? I can't find anything in any search I do. Is it not replacebale? I guess I also should ask is there any place with instructions about replacement, assuming I find it.

Thanks, Frank
Computer Specs
Moderator with 43,217 posts.

Experience: Advanced
22-Jun-2003, 06:16 PM #2
I haven't heard any good reviews on that scanner. If it was me I would look for a new scanner and it probably wouldn't cost too much more and would be guaranteed to work.
Member with 6,832 posts.

22-Jun-2003, 07:28 PM #3
The cold cathode lamps in most Microtek scanners are not user replaceable. The guy who does www.scantips.com uses a Microtek and has some instructions for changing the bulbs in the older fluorescent scanners. But Iím pretty sure yours has the cold cathode.

For some stupid reason Microtek Scanners default to having the custom button set to turn the lamp off. In that mode the lamp stays on all the time until you turn it off. Even with the thing set up properly my bulb stays on. The most convenient way to turn it off is to open ScanWizard and select one of the negative scanning modes every time I boot. A real pain in the tail. My next scanner wonít be a Microtek.
Senior Member with 619 posts.

28-Jun-2003, 02:26 PM #4
Hi Slipe

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by slipe:
The guy who does www.scantips.com
Great site! Thanks for mentioning it!
Quote:
My next scanner wonít be a Microtek.
Slipe, what would your next scanner be? I would like to buy one mostly for photos ( I'm buying it as a present for my daughter-in-law). I have searched google for reviews but I'm no further ahead. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Vivienne
Member with 6,832 posts.

28-Jun-2003, 04:29 PM #5
That depends a lot on your daughter-in-law. If she might get into tweaking her scans then avoid the cheaper HP and Epson scanners. If you are pretty sure she just wants to put the photos in and take what comes out it is hard to beat an Epson. Something like the 1250 or 1260 is an excellent scanner for photos and inexpensive.

If she is technically oriented and might appreciate a decent driver like the one on your Microtek, the medium priced HPs now have the pro driver and it is excellent Ė I like it better than the Microtek. All of the Visioneer and Canon scanners I have had occasion to use have good pro drivers. Avoid the skinny scanners that get their power from the USB. They use CIS sensors which are slow and have no depth of field. And except for the Canons the CIS scanners donít give very good scans.

28-Jun-2003, 04:37 PM #6
Hi Slipe

Quote:
If you are pretty sure she just wants to put the photos in and take what comes out it is hard to beat an Epson. Something like the 1250 or 1260 is an excellent scanner for photos and inexpensive.
I think all she would maybe do is 'crop' or things like that. I guess I should check with her first. Thanks for the advice on the Epson. It might just be exactly what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Avoid the skinny scanners that get their power from the USB. They use CIS sensors which are slow and have no depth of field. And except for the Canons the CIS scanners donít give very good scans.
Thank you! That's good to know.

Thanks very much, Slipe.

Vivienne
Member with 1,742 posts.

Experience: Like the name says.........
28-Jun-2003, 09:35 PM #7
Computer Specs
Member with 8,812 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2003, 09:41 PM #8
Just thought I'd jump in a min and give a recommendation. In most scanners the cost of replacing a bulb is more expensive than just buying a new one. I bought two of these to use around the house a few months ago. The rebate is still good.
Only took about 1 month to get mine back.

Amazon.com - Visioneer OneTouch 8700 USB Scanner $24.99 After Rebate.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005RKO1/
Amazon has the Visioneer OneTouch 8700 USB Scanner selling for $54.99 with a $30 rebate
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
(exp. 8/30/03) making your cost $24.99 with free shipping and no taxes for most.

Is a pretty good scanner at a good price.
Member with 1,742 posts.

28-Jun-2003, 09:44 PM #9
Gotta remember vivienne is in CANADA......................

vivienne (Senior Member) Canada

28-Jun-2003, 10:01 PM #10
Hi StillLearnin'

Quote:
Originally posted by StillLearnin':
Gotta remember vivienne is in CANADA......................

vivienne (Senior Member) Canada
ROTFL!!! I wonder how she got to be a 'senior' member?

Thanks for the links, StillLearnin'! What do you think of Slipe's Epson 1260? The price is right!! That's the one I am leaning towards.

Thanks, too, gotrootdude, now *that* price is really right but as StillLearnin' mentioned I do live in Canada. I know that I can order from the States but I would rather buy locally - just in case things go wrong, there would be a shop I could go to.

I appreciate your feedback!

Vivienne
Member with 1,742 posts.

28-Jun-2003, 10:04 PM #11
"What do you think of Slipe's Epson 1260? The price is right!! That's the one I am leaning towards."

If he likes it, it should do fine for your idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28-Jun-2003, 10:13 PM #12
Hi StillLearnin'

Quote:
If he likes it, it should do fine for your idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the input. I'll think about it a while longer. I don't want to rush into it as I am practicing patience.

;-)

Vivienne

29-Jun-2003, 06:56 AM #13
Hi StillLearnin' and slipe and gotrootdude

Re: Scanner to buy:

Quote:
Originally posted by vivienne:
Thanks for the input. I'll think about it a while longer. I don't want to rush into it as I am practicing patience.
Okay! I was patient all night and think I've decided and just wanted to run it by you:

She's never had a scanner before and so I don't think it's possible for her to know what she *will* be interested in.

The Epson 1260 that slipe mentioned is $78 and the Epson 1660 that StillLearnin' sent this link for:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart...d,14691,00.asp

is at $184. Does this one have the drivers that do the tweaking mentioned by slipe? If so, then I'll be on the safe side and get her the better scanner.

I don't know too much about scanners. The only experience I've had is with my HP Scanjet 3400C which I do not like at all! It doesn't even do a nice 'text' scan. I've not tried pictures.

Please let me know what you think and I'm all set to go!

Thanks again!!

Vivienne

29-Jun-2003, 07:05 AM #14
I would just like to add:

The computer they have is a Pentium 2 and it's about 5-6 years old. Will the USB port that came with that be compatible? The specs say "Interface type USB 2.0".

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by vivienne:
Hi StillLearnin' and slipe and gotrootdude

Re: Scanner to buy:

Okay! I was patient all night and think I've decided and just wanted to run it by you:

She's never had a scanner before and so I don't think it's possible for her to know what she *will* be interested in.

The Epson 1260 that slipe mentioned is $78 and the Epson 1660 that StillLearnin' sent this link for:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart...d,14691,00.asp

is at $184. Does this one have the drivers that do the tweaking mentioned by slipe? If so, then I'll be on the safe side and get her the better scanner.

I don't know too much about scanners. The only experience I've had is with my HP Scanjet 3400C which I do not like at all! It doesn't even do a nice 'text' scan. I've not tried pictures.

Please let me know what you think and I'm all set to go!

Thanks again!!

Vivienne
Member with 1,742 posts.

29-Jun-2003, 08:46 AM #15
USB 2.0 SHOULD be backwards compatible with USB 1.1. I've had several scanners and the majority of the customers have scanners. Most all are HP. The Epsons that I've seen are pretty decent. I think slipe or gotrootdude may be more helpful in this situation. Personally I have an HP 5200C that works fine for what I do ( which includes picture scans). I haven't ACTUALLY seen any picture scans other than by various HP scanners. Oh yea, as for the USB 2.0: a USB 2.0 controller card can be added so the increased bus speed can be utilized.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!